Greetings from Rocket City, USA!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Doug Bennett, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Doug Bennett

Doug Bennett Member

Hi. I've been around for a while, but am just getting around to this.

My name is Doug Bennett, and I live in Huntsville, Alabama. While I've always been interested in photography, about 4 years ago I decided to get serious about it. I picked up a used enlarger, and bought a couple of TLRs (a Yashica Mat and a Minolta Autocord) to augment my Canon FD system. I commenced to read everything I could find about B&W. The Internet is an amazing resource for this type of endeavor.

All this was driven by my backpacking trips to an amazing area near here, the Sipsey Wilderness. It's a beautiful area, with old growth forest (hemlock, oak, poplar), huge rock formations, waterfalls everywhere, and some of the most psychedelic moss and lichen you'll ever see. A very resonant and magical place. Yet my photos of it were...................... well, mundane.

I still haven't nailed the Sipsey, but a couple of negatives get close, and that keeps me going. Fortunately, north Alabama and south central Tennessee are lovely areas, visually interesting, and providing endless opportunities to shoot.

This is a great site, with a decidedly laid back, congenial feel. What a welcome relief from the vitriol and hostility found so often on Internet forums.

2. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Doug,

Nice to have you.

3. David R Munson

David R Munson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The water really is nice here - makes for enjoyable daily swims. Maybe a little chlorine in the eyes from time to time, but nothing too bad. :smile:

Rock on.

4. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Doug, have you heard of the Walls of Jericho up near the Tennessee border? Wilderness area that has just recently been bought by a nature conservancy or the state, I forget which. Supposed to be a *REALLY* fantastic place. I'm going to do some digging to get directions if you are up to going before the summer is out.
    BTW Huntsville has a prominent place in my life as the location of the National Speleology Society headquarters while I was spending a lot of time underground. I've seen so many places I'd love to take a LF camera back to if I could find them again, other cavers took me there so I'm not real sure of the details.