Grinding GG Glass to precise size?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by EASmithV, Jan 25, 2012.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a nice looking GG from China a while back. It has the markings for every roll film back format known to man, which is really nice. However, it was designed for a Wista / Toyo, so it needs about 1.5-2mm ground off either side to fit my Graflex.

Does anyone have on tips on grinding glass? I was going to use the disc side of a belt sander with the finest size sandpaper I could find and a spray bottle of water.

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For that much you may need to use a glass cutter or the professional services of a glazier. That is a lot to grind off IMHO.

PE

3. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or a 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper.
    Use it wet, It will take a little while <hr but trying to cut 1-2mm with a glass cutter needs some experience. It's not scoring the glass, it's how the hell do you grab that 2mm edge to snap it off?

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A belt sander will be fine, no water. The only difficulty is staying straight so hold it long ways against the middle of the sander. Do a 30 degree sand on one side, turn over and do a 30 degree sand on the other side and then a 90 degree sand between the two. Then test it and so on.