Guatemala

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Richard Wasserman, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been invited by an anthropologist who is leading an archaeological dig to a very important Mayan city in the wilds of Guatemala to join him and his team next year to do personal photography. I would basically be a visiting artist and not a member of his team, he already has a photographer who does the scientific recording. I am trying to decide if I should take him up on this offer. Part of me says to jump at this once in a lifetime experience, but the other part is a bit nervous. This project is located in the widerness next to a malarial swamp and is home to Fer de Lance snakes. So far there has only been 1 kidnapping and that only lasted about 2 hours. Evidently some bandits needed hostages to trade for one of their own who had been arrested by the army. There are heavily guarded air fields used by drug smugglers who have shot at them as warnings a couple of times, and who knows what else. Sounds like fun, eh? On the other hand this team has been going to this particular site for a few years and hasn't lost anyone yet. So, has anyone here ever gone to Guatemala? I'd very much like to hear of your experiences, especially in the countryside away from population centers. Is it relatively safe? I have no experience of Central America and can't talk to the man who invited me as he is currently on his way there. Thanks!

Richard Wasserman

2. agGNOME

agGNOME Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry no advice to offer. Seems way too risky. Please, let me offer myself enthusiastically as a substitute. I could only welcome such risk. :wink:
    (kidding yes, but seriously would love that kind of opportunity)

3. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I spent a couple of weeks in Guatemala in 1991. So it's been awhile. We had a great time, spending most the the time near Lago Atitlan and Tikal. Tikal would have been good for photography but I always find rainforest photography enervating. It is so hot and humid. The light is low. Sweat like a pig. Up in the mountains is much more pleasant. However, with a large format camera you would be sure to draw a crowd. For Guatemala, I might scale down to medium format or even 35 mm.

4. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would go. I've never been to Guatemala, but I would go anyway. Like you say, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

5. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm still thinking... The area I would go to is about 50 miles west of Tikal and is hot and steamy. At least it would be in March, before the rains start.

Richard Wasserman

6. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is an apugger who lives in Guatamala. I can't remember his name right now and would have to plow through pages of my uncleared PM's to find it. What he told me was Feb. was a great time to be there. The orchids are starting to bloom. This continues for several months. If you don't go, you will always kick yourself for not taking the opportunity.

7. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Aggie...don't know if I *could* turn down something like that.

8. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    One of the great things about this opportunity, is that you have someone there already to help, give you pointers, and, you may in fact be able to augment the work his photographer is already doing.

9. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Peter Rockstroh

Aggie-his name is Peter Rockstroh. He is a fine photographer and lives in Guatemala. I'm more than sure he will be able to tell you anything you could possibly care to know. He is a wonderful guy and we have exchanged many eamils etc. I even lucked out and got a fantastic print from him in the blind print exchange. Do contact him!!!!
    Best, Peter

10. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Haven't been to Guatemala in years, but have spent a fair amount of time in the jungles of central and south america.
    The "barba amarilla" (Fer de lance) is poisonous, but not really that aggressive. The locals will tell you the kinds of places to avoid.
    Take the latest malaria drug, and don't listen to anyone who says they aren't good for you. Malaria is much worse.
    I'm sure the team you are with have the kidnappers and drug runners figured out, and how to avoid them. They won't be that noticeable.
    I don't think a large format would be much fun though. Imagine being under that dark cloth and trying to make camera adjustments with hot, sweaty and salty hands.
    Don't drink the water and don't go barefoot.
    Try and learn some basic Spanish. At least the pronunciation. It's a very phonetic language, and they don't speak too fast in the countryside. Cerveza and "Banyo" (phonetic spelling, haven't got the little thingy on top of the n) are the two most important words.
    Fill any empty parts of your suitcase with toilet paper. The stuff they sell there is marketed here as sandpaper.
    You will find the local people very nice. They have lots of religious holidays there, and some nice costumes they wear at every opportunity.
    I would go in the blink of an eye. Have fun.

11. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Go, it is the chance of a lifetime. Will you regret not having gone after this opportunity passes? Each life has only so many stellar moments. We never know which opportunity will give us that "once in a lifetime moment" Luke

12. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's official, I'm going to Guatemala in February 2007!!! I don't have any details yet, but I'm so excited I can't sit still. I'll be receiving a list of things to do to prepare for this trip in a few days, and in the interim I can think about the important things, like what camera to bring and what film to shoot....

Richard Wasserman

13. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'd go in a minute!

Get the vaccinations and the malaria pills and do it man!

14. Peter Rockstroh

Peter Rockstroh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Richard,

Whatever you shoot, you´ve got a darkroom to develop and print it (I´ll get fresh beer in January).

Peter

15. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Peter,
    Thank you! I'll be in touch when I know more details about my itinerary. I look forward to meeting you and seeing beautiful Guatemala.

Richard Wasserman