Gum print, arabic gum question

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by edwoo11, Dec 4, 2012.

1. edwoo11

edwoo11 Member

Hi,
    I used to buy my gum arabic in small bottle of 60 ml, this is obviously a too small amount if you are printing much, and it's also very expensive for this quantity.

few questions:

-is the E 414 arabic gum powder (for fooding) is apropriate for gum print?

-Is it possible to buy in bigger quantity this kind of ready-to-use solution on a reasonable price ? i saw that :
    http://www.gerstaecker.at/shop/unser-an ... 3021a#tabs
    but it says is for protection in terms of storage of plates,1:1 dilution, did someone tried this?

btw i am in Europa,
    Thank you for sharing

2. artonpaper

artonpaper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is possible to buy gum in the powder form. It is not too difficult to make the syrup from that. Much less expensive. I have made it many times that way. Gum solution used in the graphic arts is often less pure.

3. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I buy the powder too, but my supplier is in the US. There must be a source closer to you.

4. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think gum Arabic is used in food. So you might find it at a food vendor for cheaper. I think it's used as a thickening agent or candy.

5. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  6. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Food grade powdered gum is the best; it's very pure / free of contamination (dirt, dust and other alien material / compounds), therefore it gives a very clean / clear gum solution - this is what I use myself...

Regards,
    Loris.

7. edwoo11

edwoo11 Member

Thank you for the answers,

Powder looks like a cheap and good solution, i just didn't want to bother with conservators, I read everywhere that self made gum solution with powder will not last on shelf if you don't add some chemicals in it, so i was thinking it was nice to think to get some ready made solution.

I am glad to hear that I could use that food gum powder, This would be OK ? here it's called "E 414" : (sorry german):

http://www.amazon.de/Arabisches-Gum...0IAG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354706052&sr=8-3

where do you get the additives ? if i am correct : Thymol and isopropyl alcohol, I am in Austria, and it's quite hard to find that stuff if you don't know where to search...

8. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi again,

I preserve my gum solutions with sodium benzoate; I have 3 years old stock that looks like it was mixed yesterday. I use 1g sodium benzoate per 100g of dry powdered gum, which probably is overkill. I'm sure the gum solution would still keep well even if sodium benzoate is cut to 1:5...

Regards,
    Loris.

9. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    google for saban suvatlar in hamburg.i'm sure he ships to austria

10. edwoo11

edwoo11 Member

Thanks very much for the good tips,
    I found some Arabic gum in a local store, sodium benzoate is much easier to find and cheap ! it's on the way.
    Strange than they are both used for food...

11. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because gum arabic is a food product, it can go moldy or bad so handle it as such. Some gum printers add thymol as a preservative. I think you only should be concerned if your product has been opened.

12. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy for you. Use 0.5g sodium benzoate per 100g of dry powdered gum - just to be on the safe side...

Regards,
    Loris.

13. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BTW, to clarify: There's no need to add a preservative for dry gum tears or powder, you only need it for the solutions.