Hackneyed local landmarks

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Wolfeye, May 31, 2009.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Going through some of my older shots and realized I only have one or two shots of a prominent local landmark. It's an interesting object, and I could shoot more shots of it, but because it's local to me it seems less appealing as a subject than many similar things elsewhere.

So how about you? What local landmark do you dismiss, that all the tourists (such as they may be) all take photos of?

2. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Law Quad at the University of Michigan.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't have too many photographs of the Statue of Liberty. I've never even seen it closer than the view from the Staten Island Ferry.

I once tried to photograph the Empire State Building, and it's very hard to find a good vantage point. Ever notice that the best shots of the ESB are aerials? I've never been to the viewing platform on the top of the ESB.

4. jpeets

jpeets Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Niagara Falls (sort of local). I have seen some interesting photos, including winter shots, but have never actually tried to photograph them myself.

I've looked, but fear I lack the imagination to do something that hasn't been done many, many, many times before.

5. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Wartburg at Eisenach, although I've made detail photographs inside. It was more of an event with eddies of tourists forming behind my 8x10's tripod. The photos themselves could have been done in any building from that period, nothing to identify the locale.

6. Aklens200

Aklens200 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    Mt. McKinley!
    I think I have a total of perhaps five shots of the mountain and I've lived here 50 years.
    Rich

7. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The Carson Mansion here in Eureka...supposively the most photographed building in California. But that just might be a little bit of local BS.

8. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sydney Harbour Bridge, Opera House, Luna Park, Coogee Baths, South Head and countless other harbour and beach cliches around Sydney - but what the hell, I still keep going back to photograph them from time to time. After all, it's a cliche because it's enormously attractive. It doesn't stop being attractive despite the millions of photographs taken. It may still be fresh to new eyes out there.

9. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I guess I've been to more of the local sites than you David! When I lived in Westchester for a few years in the early '90s we went into the city most weekends. It is sad and sobering to see how often the twin towers appear in my photos. What was once a photographic cliche now has a much different character.

10. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A windmill that was disassembled in the Netherlands in the 1960's, shipped across the Atlantic, and rebuilt here in Holland, Michigan. The bricks still supposedly show the scars of being strafed by fighters in WWII.

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I live on an island 26 miles E - W and 16 miles N - S. Everywhere is local to me!

Steve.

12. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, according to my friends, the arbour which leads from my backyard to the beach is long past its "best before" date. :D :D

13. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LONDON......

I work here 9-5 every weekday and have done so for the past 10 years. I find what's going on in London very interesting but, aside from St Paul's Cathedral, the Swiss Re tower (The Gherkin), St. pancras Station, Tower of London and the Lloyd's building, I find most of the local architecture pretty boring.

I suppose a lot of it's a result of what was flattened during WW2 being replaced with quick-to-build, utlitarian, corporate buildings. Big and grandiose as they may be, I can't say I find them attractive or worth wasting film / pixels on.

14. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've lived in or near Philadelphia all my life, yet I find I have very few pictures of icons like Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross house and City Hall. I think when they've been part of the scenery since you were born, they just don't stand out. What has changed this a bit is having had several recent occasions to play host to people who've never been here and seeing the familiar in a new light.

Now I've even photographed the Art Museum steps made famous in "Rocky!" :D

DaveT

15. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't shot the Space Needle for a long time! Better go do it!

Seattle. Where else?

16. Dug

Dug Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do they still poison all the carp in the body of water next to the windmill right before the tulip festival? I remember visiting the windmill as a child, but all I can recall is the sight (and smell!) of the carp.

17. skyrick

skyrick Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dealey Plaza and the Book Depository (now known as the Sixth Floor Museum)

Rick

18. furcafe

furcafe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Around here, any of the major federal buildings (Capitol, White House) or the monuments (Washington, Jefferson, etc.).