Hair Dryer to Dry Test Strips?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by marcmarc, Oct 5, 2009.

1. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Everyone,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I didn't see any topics in the search feature.

I'm having some trouble with determining dry down on the fiber papers I use (Kentmere). I've read that using a hand held hair dryer to dry test strips will work. Since I'm using a school darkroom, this may work in the dry area of the lab. Anyone use this method and is it accurate?

Thanks,

Marc

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It works even better on RA4 colour prints, less moisture to get rid of. :smile:

3. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think dry-down effect is mostly an effect of the light on a wet print. If you just squeegee the thing, you will get a good idea of what the final is going to be.

4. Whatadame

Whatadame Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I must respectfully disagree--different papers can have very different dry-downs. I have a 'fridge full of Forte Polywarmtone, and believe me, the dry-down is quite noticeable and quite different than what you see by simply squeegeeing.

5. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

Well, that could be... I never used that paper. My experience though, is that when you get down a system of printing and get used to your particular materials, the dry-down effect becomes less of a factor because you automatically compensate for it. Everybody has their own style of working.

You also have to consider that the lighting might be different in the places where you are viewing prints in progress and where you are ending up viewing the final prints. Things could look quite different there.

6. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I use an old microwave to dry down test strips. Takes about 30 sec to dry half an 8x10 sheet. Nice thing about dried test strips is you can take them into whatever lighting you're going to display the final print. Hair dryer will work as well. But keep in mind that with both microwave and hair dryer, heat upon drying will increase warm tones in the print. I disregard this when analyzing.