Half frame users

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by richard littlewood, May 24, 2009.

1. richard littlewood

richard littlewood Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just asking, but how do other half frame snappers deal with those tiny negs. Contact prints are not too helpful, but the grain can be outstanding! I've found I can make prints from half frame negs that I like, but I have to diffuse the exposure throughout with a black stocking mesh, and use a harder grade printing filter. I've only got a pen ee3 but a 12" wide print can look surprisingly sharp, and diffusing the print doing great things with the grain. Thats using a film like hp5 or tmax 400. Its a look that I cant seem able to get from full frame 35mm.
    Does anyone else find half frame negs a bit special.

2. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My two half frame cameras are a Konica Auto Reflex (Autorex in Japan) and a Konica AA35 (Recorder in Japan). The Auto Reflex will take all of my Konica AR and AR mount lenses. The 28/1.8 UC Hexanon makes a great standard lens. The AA35 is a p&s camera. The diffusion process must reduce your sharpness. With modern films you can make very nice prints from the half frame format. Try the new Ektar 100 color print film. I would rate it at 80 or 64 to avoid underexposure. For b&w prints I would use Ilford Pan F+, Fuji ACROS or Kodak TMY2. You will get very fine grain with any of these films without the need for diffusion.

3. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've been careful to use slower speed films. Plus, the meter on my main half frame camera doesn't go above ASA 200.

So far, I haven't had a problem with grain causing problems. But I haven't done any wet prints yet either.

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i use high and low speed films and i often enlarge them.
    i don't enlarge much more then "on a 8x10 ..."
    look at some of the work of guillume zuili
    he is fond of his half frame and he enlarges his stuff
    BIG :smile:

good luck!

john