Hand held flash cable

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by holmburgers, Mar 12, 2010.

1. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi ya'll,

I'm looking for an appropriate cable for handholding my Canon 155A speedlite. I will use it on the manual setting w/ a set guide number.

So, I either need a hotshoe to hotshoe or PC to hotshoe, coiled and long enough to facilitate my reach. I'll be using it on a Canon AE-1 Program and a Canon EF. The only PC connector is on the cameras, BTW.

I looked on eBay, but for some reason I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'll keep looking, but in the meantime if anyone knows what I'm talking about and can send me a link, that'd be great!

I'm not concerned w/ any proprietary Canon cord, or something that supports the Auto Exposure w/ the AE-1 or anything like that (though I'd take it). I just want a really basic flash extension cable.

Thanks in advance for your expertise,

Chris H.

2. DLawson

DLawson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome. I just found their cord on B&H, which looked like the best, but it was 20 feet long. So a custom option is perfect, thanks a lot!

...update.... However, I'd still like to find a cheaper option. It's a tad pricey to go custom.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
  4. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Take a look at Flash Zebra to see if they have what you need.

http://www.flashzebra.com/

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back in the seventies I took two hot-shoe adapters, broke them open (and thus had to make new front and end caps), drilled at each a larger hole to the sides, glued a helical spring to it (kink protection) and connected both via a heavy helical headphone cable. Very impressive.

6. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys, I'll check out the website, and consider my DIY options... :wink:

7. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, so here's what I'm running into. The exact type of thing I want is readily available, but for TTL & automatic features of newer digital cameras. However, would this really be a problem? I mean, if the contacts aren't contacting anything, then no harm, no foul, right?

Like this... http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0124/index.shtml

But, the question is then, are the "classic" triggering contacts gonna be in the same place at all? I would assume so, in case you wanted to use an older flash w/ your newer camera, but I just don't know enough to be sure.

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Generally speaking, that means I've never seen anything else. The peripheral contacts are not used, only the central one.

I just looked at the Zebra site and will try it with a Canon cord.

OK, with a Canon Off-camera shoe cord 2 it works using a Pentax KX and a Vivitar 283.
    Since I don't have any use for the cord, would you be interested in buying it? I'm thinking $20 shipped.
    I don't think it's been used.