Handheld 6x7 MF Camera Advice

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by b.cipolla, Oct 30, 2011.

1. b.cipolla

b.cipolla Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hey guys. I have been shooting 4x5 for the past couple of years and want to make the move to MF for more portability and versatility without sacrificing negative size by shooting 35 mm. Ideally, I would like to shoot 6x7, but I've got the feeling that tripods are often used with cumbersome 6x7 SLR systems like the Pentax 6x7 and Mamiya RB or RZ systems, which I would like to get away from after shooting 4x5. At first, I wanted an SLR because I did not love the focusing system of a rangefinder or twin lens reflex. However, I got the feeling that if I want to shoot 6x7, I'm going to have to get used to a rangefinder or a twin lens reflex if I don't want a very large camera. In general, I am looking for a good handheld MF camera, that I can find for a moderate price, for a range of subjects, that will take a good negative. I don't tend to focus on one subject matter. I was wondering if any of you had any other suggestions for good handheld 6x7 MF cameras. Thanks!

2. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon, b.cipolla,

About the moderate price, I'm not sure, but I find the Fuji 6 x 7 rangefinder to be an exceptionally competent camera. The 90mm lens is terrific. There are also 6 x 9 and WA versions available, about which others may wish to comment. The Koni-Omega rangefinders also have very good lenses, perhaps just a little less sharp than the somewhat newer Fuji offerings, but a variety of lenses plus interchangeable magazines and various other accessories make them more versatile than the Fujis. The other obvious choice would be the Mamiya Universal or 23, also part of a system with good lenses and interchangeability. The bad news is that the used market for all these cameras is not as buyer-friendly as it was a few years ago, and condition is a major factor for individual cameras, especially the older Konis and Mamiyas.

Konical

3. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I handhold my Bronica GS-1 all the time. It's the smallest of the big 3 6x7 SLRs.

4. Heinz

Heinz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like my Makina 67 very much. It is fine for handheld images - and a real beauty...
    Heinz

5. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mamiya 7 is about it for a modern 6x7 that's lighter than usual SLR subjects like the Mamiya RB and Pentax. They're not giveaway priced, though. I love the Bronica GS-1 but gave up trying to build a kit with a few lenses and backs, thanks to their relative scarcity and high prices. Can't bully a friend to sell me the kit I borrow occasionally...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2011
  6. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Mamiya 7... no doubt.

7. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you cannot use a Mamiya RB67 handheld, you aren't trying very hard.

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Personally, the Linhof Tech V 23 works for me for this purpose. I got it when we had a child, and traveling with a 4x5" or larger camera just got more difficult, and I realized that a 2x3" Technika gives me most of the functionality of the 4x5" in about half the space for the full kit, and that includes shooting handheld press camera style with the rangefinder or view camera style on a tripod with the groundglass and camera movements.

If you want an SLR, though, the Bronica GS-1 is probably the most suited to handheld work.

9. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Fuji rangefinders are all very good cameras with excellent glass. I have the GW670 II (w/ 90 mm f3.5 lens) and the GSW690 III (w/ 65 mm f5.6 lens) and am quite happy with the results I get from both. I also shoot 4x5 and 5x7, and the Fuji cameras give me plenty of sharpness & tonality to satisfy my image needs.
    These cameras are moderately priced, quite affordable.

The Mamiya 67 is a really nice system with excellent lenses, but at a higher premium. It is a lighter kit to carry around than lugging two Fujis (I am used to the heft of the Fujis).

As far as results go, I think you would be very happy with either system.

My $0.02... YMMV.

10. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the GS-1. No rotating back, but a very solid piece of kit. I prefer it with the WLF as opposed to a prism; makes it a lot lighter, and gives the compositional advantage of a ground glass. Whatever you choose, 6x7 is a great format.

11. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm voting for the brick Koni Omega Rapid etc despite it's size.
    Cheap and simple with great glass and a leaf shutter.

I dig the ergonomics for non tripod work where I want enlargement capabilities.

12. chassis

chassis Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have shot an RB67 handheld with good results. If indoors doing people shots, a grip flash will serve you well. Outdoors depending on subject and lighting, you can get away with the bare camera. A multi-angle grip or L-grip is recommended.

13. NJS

NJS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

..and what compositional dis-advantage when you try to use it in portrait orientation! :laugh:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's a rotary prism for that!

16. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is very true. I have acutally tried it in portrait mode, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    Handheld + WLF + Portrait orientation = a very good reason to choose a different camera. :blink:

(But I still love my GS-1)

17. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I geuss I'm strange I always use a tripod, from 35mm to medium format.

Jeff

18. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Re. the rangefinder Mamiya 7, I'm told there are issues with rangefinder accuracy when using the 150mm lens, but it's fine with the wides and normal lenses. I often use a Mamiyaflex C330s and find it's possible to handhold steadily lenses up to the 135mm pair. The leaf shutters are virtually vibration free. I have often gone out with a C330, plus 55mm, 80mm, and 135mm lenses in a small bag with no tripod. It's actually lighter to cart around than some 35mm equivalent outfits!

19. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The secret of handheld work in any format is choice of film.

I shoot almost all my 6x6 Yashicamat & Rolleiflex hand held and quite a bit of 5x4 with a Crown Graphic and now a Super Graphic and taht means using a film that allows at least 1/100th at f16 or 22 with the 5x4, f11/f16 with the TLR's.

With a MF SLR camera 6x6, 645 or 6x7 you do need to use higher shutter speeds hand held because of the effcts of the mirror.

So you nneed to go for films like Tmax & Delta 400, or HP5 unless it's very bright weather or your happy working at wide apertures.

Ian

20. Arthurwg

Arthurwg Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Mamiya 7

Got to be the Mamiya 7. VERY easy to handhold down to 1/15 sec. Great lenses, great versatility. Only shortcoming is portraiture. Not so easy to get tight enough for a headshot.

21. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Light (1000g), portable and collapsable. Film format 6x6cm or 6x7cm and shutter speeds till 1/15S-1/30S handhold and a super silent shutter:
    C.V. Bessa III 667.

22. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can live with the Rangefinder issues (close focus, lack of long lenses, non-SLR viewfinder), the Mamiya 7 is the best, no doubt. If you want an SLR, the Mamiya RZ is really not that bad, hand-holding. I handhold mine all the time, and that's with a grip, motor drive, prism, and any of the lenses. It's heavy, sure, but reasonably ergonomic (stop laughing!) with the L-grip and prism. The motor is a nice addition, since it frees up from having to deal with winding between shots. I've even handheld it with the above stuff and the 500mm f/6 APO. Not for long stretches, but enough to shoot a whole airshow that way.

for handheld 4x5, there are options too though. I have a Chamonix Saber, which is a great little 4x5 built on the polaroid-style design. Very hand-holdable, works great with many types of backs, and can be fitted with a modern lens. There's also the usual litany of Polaroid 110/etc. type conversions to 4x5, but all of those are more clunky and far less elegant than the Saber, IMNSHO.

-Ed

23. jbbooks

jbbooks Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What Ed said, without any doubt at all.

24. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not!:sad: I'm weak!

Jeff

25. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually if the tripod is the issue, a monopod may be the fix. I use my RB that way a bunch.

26. Mark Crabtree

Mark Crabtree Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not meant as a recommendation above the other cameras mentioned already, but I will speak up for the Pentax 6x7 as a hand held camera. I worried about it when I bought one, but never had any trouble. I didn't even find a need for particularly high shutter speeds (I think most of the kerchunk is when the mirror slaps back down).

The Pentax 6x7 was about the most fun camera I ever shot with. I even used it as my bicycle camera for a while, though it did noticeably affect the bicycle's handling (carried a the handlebar bag).