Handmade walking stick/mono pod combo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Griz, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Finally came to the conclusion that I could no longer hold 1/30th without support. Carrying surplus equipment, even on short hikes, has become more than my old body can handle, so I came up with the following solution:

[​IMG]

The cap above the leather grip unscrews from the top to reveal the tripod stud, with the platform right at 60 inches, I have my viewfinder exactly at eye level. Made from a sugar maple sapling, it should be around longer than I am!

Griz :smile:

2. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great idea!

3. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow thats a beauty! Nice work! Did you put a metal spike at the foot? or rubber pad?

4. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Erik!

5. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Newt, I left a "Y" at the bottom, seems to get good traction so far in most situations. Probably wouldn't work well on sheer rock, but I doubt I'll be doing much rock climbing any more!

6. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like it. I had a commercial walking monopod from LL Bean, well they resold them, was never as nice as yours. Good job.

7. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, after the first few hours with the round file, I was wondering if it was such a bright idea. Tried it without the grooves first, but it was just too heavy. It's down to just over 1 lb. now.

8. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could SELL this!

9. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL, yeah, but too many hours of work in it, no way to charge an affordable price, and still make a profit. Had the same problem with my leather shop. Sold bass guitar straps for anywhere from $100 to $300, but I was spending 10 to 12 hours on a project. Had very happy customers, but no profit margin. :pouty:

I'm glad you like it though!

Griz

10. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  11. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Oh somehow I missed the point of this, yes very nice design, was trying to save you energy, the photo didn't load the first time :/ lol

~Stone

http://www.stonenyc.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No worries Stone :wink:, If I had the money, I probably would have saved the energy! In my younger days when I was racing sprint cars, most of the other teams were buying parts off of the shelf, while I was building my own. Always preferred to do it myself when I can.

13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    One of those is only $30, if you don't have that, how can you buy film? Haha but seriously what a nice design! Yours is unique so that's worth more than $100 if you sold it.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad you like it Stone!

Cheers,

16. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ^ nowhere near as satisfying.

17. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's for sure John, and I love your signature...been riding since I was 8 years old!

18. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could do what a lot of American companies have done: outsource it overseas for about $1.00 per stick and sell them for... Let's say a low ballpark figure of $100.00:whistling::sad:

19. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife had been after me to make her a walking stick for a year or so. This spring, while removing some small trees on the property, I recalled her request. Since she usually carries my tripod, thought I should accommodate her. :smile: We recently returned from a trip to the U.P. where we did do some more difficult hiking along the Sturgeon River. Not terribly bad, but rough surfaces, low rock outcroppings that doubled as steps along the trail and of course, they were uneven. Anyway, we found our selves "sharing" her walking stick in some of the more difficult places. I decided to make myself one since the 4x5 kit (backpack) on level ground is not much of a problem even at its 25 or so pounds, but when having to climb up or down, the stick would be handy for balance. Here are my first two attempts. I never thought of the mono pod idea, might steal that one. I put rubber tips on ours, it seemed more practical for the use we will get out of them.

Attached Files:

20. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having been outsourced myself after 24 years at the same company, I kind of doubt that I would do it to myself again!

Griz

21. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very nice, and you're more than welcome to use the idea!

22. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beautiful!!!

23. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Katie!

24. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Griz,

The more I have thought about your mono pod arrangement, the more I like it. I rarely use, or have had a need for one, but when those times arose, it was "darn, wish I had one with me," built into the walking stick it always would be.

By chance, could you detail the arrangement for the stud and more importantly, the screw-on cap?

25. Griz

Griz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No problem at all Bob, After sizing the length of the stick, and keeping the cut off for the cap, I simply drilled a hole the size of the shaft of a 1/4-20 grade 5 bolt. Then I used the bolt to cut its' own threads into the wood. After the threads were cut, I removed the bolt, and cut the bolt head off on a band saw, to make the stud. This is a good time to mark the hole you will need in the cap. I cut a pencil the same depth as the hole, with a bit of the point sticking out, I was able to put the cap in place, and mark where I would need to drill.

I then double checked the length of the installed stud, so as not to puncture the body within the tripod socket, then applied a very thin layer of 5 minute epoxy in the hole, double nutted the stud, and re-installed it. I covered the camera platform with contact cement, then a thin layer of leather for the camera to seat against.

I used the mating surface of the piece I cut off the stick to make the cap. The cap was made by drilling a hole (deep enough to accept the stud) just smaller in diameter than a 1/4-20 nut, and pressing the nut into the wood using a table vise. Before seating the nut, I used another very thin coat of epoxy to help hold the nut in place. All that remained was to do the shaping on a disc sander, and apply the finish. :smile:

Griz

26. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very well explained. Thank you very much.