Hanimex

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did the company relabel any "quality" cameras & lenses?
    I'm asking because the 35-70 lens I was given fell apart at the mount,bounced once off the walking bridge,and sunk into the St. John river.
    Actually quite humorous.

2. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    FWIW - my dad used to work for them (advertising mgr.) and they were an importer/distributor of Fuji (cameras & film) but I do not think they did any relabelling...cheers, sam

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a 135mm f2.8 Hanimex lens with a Nikon mount. It's actually very good - I can't fault it.

Steve.

4. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Australian publication "Photographic Trader" has contributors who would have some knowledge of the history of Hanimex. An issue which I have put in the recycling bin long ago had an article about aspects of their history.

Perhaps an e-mail might find a response, but note that they are quite a small operation.

Their address: enquiries@phototrader.com.au

Regards - Ross

5. Leigh Youdale

Leigh Youdale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The company started in Australia, I think in the mid-50's, but then expanded operations to the UK in the 60's. They imported, rebadged and sold cheap cameras, slide projectors and accessories usually sourced from post-war Japan & Eastern Europe. An example is the Japanese Topcon and also the East German Practica. There is a little info if you Google the name and go to the Wikepedia link but the company folded/was sold years ago and nothing remains. I think Fuji may have bought them out as they were a significant distributor of Fuji products in Australia at one time.

6. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bang on Leigh.
    Hannes Import Export=Hanimex

Hope the lens didn't kill any fish!

7. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I have a 70-200mm zoom in Olympus OM mount by Hanimex and I'm satisfied with it as well. :smile:

8. phenix

phenix Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I heard only good things about Hanimex, sort of a “sleeper“. But there’s also Hanimar, who made (relabeled) very poor pieces of equipment.

9. Robint

Robint Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hanimex as related was an Aussie import export house. In the mid 80's they bought Vivitar and continued to trade under the Vivitar name. I assume at this time Hanimex sold the rights to the S1 90mm f2.5 macro, the 2X macro-focusing teleconverter to Tokina and its related company Kenko.

10. filmamigo

filmamigo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the same lens in M42 mount. It's a favourite of mine, and spends time on my Spotmatic, Canon TL QL and K10D -- the latter two with adapters. It's my go-to portrait lens and low-light zoom replacement.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back in the late 1970s I worked for a while in the camera department for Sears Canada. As I recall it, we sold some Hanimex flashes - but they were very unreliable!

I wouldn't be surprised if many of the companies who were into re-branding were focussed mainly on price points and feature lists. That way, they could sell to retailers like Sears, who liked to offer lower priced options.

While at Sears we weren't restricted to off-brand items - we sold tremendous volumes of Canon AE1s and Canon A1s, as well as TXs and AT1s, IIRC. We were also one of the few stores that sold Olympus, but only the OM10. If you wanted an interesting lens, however, we would have to special order it for you.

I still have a store demonstrator Zuiko 75-150mm f/4.0 lens I bought from work for a silly low price before I left there in 1980 :smile:.

Matt