Hardener Fixer for TMY-400 film

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Henry Alive, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Henry Alive

Henry Alive Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to test a Hardener Fixer for my TMY-400 film. Could you recommend me some of them, of the following brands: Kodak, Ilford, Tetenal?
    Thanks,
    Henry

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    None of the commonly available fixers from Ilford are hardening fixers.

Of the Kodak fixers, Kodak Rapid fixer gives you the option to add or hold back the hardener. The other commonly available Kodak fixers include the hardeners.

TMY is pre-hardened - unless you have a special reason to do so, you don't need to use a hardening fixer with it. And if you do use a hardening fixer with it, you need to wash it longer and/or use a wash-aid.

3. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used hardening and non hardening fixer with TMY2 and haven't observed any practical difference in the results. It's a tough film.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hardening fixers are no longer recommended for mainstream films, haven't been for years.

Ian

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    TM2 is a very versatile film.

Jeff

6. Henry Alive

Henry Alive Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I appreciate your comments. I just want to work with a hardener fixer because once in a while scratches appear in my negatives that were not there when they were just developed. Thanks again,
    Henry.

7. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak Rapid Fixer. Mix with recommended amount of solution B, which is the hardener.

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not try a tanning developer instead. Moersh Tanol or Pyrocat-HD and mask the grain while you're at it. Hardening fixers take extra time to wash, which in my opinion, actually can cause scratches due to the extra time in water which softens the emulsion. Use the tanning developer coupled with TF-4 fixer minimizes time in water and chems and allows the emulsion to harden sooner, helps eliminate possibility of scratches. Of course, this does not eliminate mishandling of negatives, so don't squeegee the film or wipe with anything, not even wet fingers. A good wetting agent, mixed properly followed by vigorous shaking of the film in the reel to expell excess water before hanging to dry in a dust free area.