Hardening Bromoil ink

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by SMBooth, Dec 20, 2011.

1. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm about to embark on some Bromoil printing, I got some litho ink 1796 which seem a little soft, but I have read where you can use beeswax or Magnesium salts (Epson) to harden the ink. Before I go all gunhoe and just try it does anybody have some experience in harden a soft litho ink.

2. OMU

OMU Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate (I still get annoyed that IUPAC changed the spelling of sulphur to "sulfur") as opposed to the carbonate.

4. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks, i did read magnesium carbonate most places, but Michael Spedding refer to Epson Salt, -"and inked up using graphic black litho ink 1796 which had been stiffened with oil pastel or crushed magnesium sulphate (epsom salts). i'[ll have a play a see what happens

5. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's probably the magnesium itself which does the work. Good luck. :smile:

6. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd bet that the magnesium carbonate is just a bulking agent....talc would probably work too. I'd be less confident in epsom salts....they dissolve once water hits them and that might affect how they work. Seems like most any insoluable powder would work.

7. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am not a bromoilist, though I've done a lot of printmaking... take anything I say with appropriate caution.

In etching, ink is made stiffer with French chalk (talc), but sparingly. The tack of the ink is not necessarily the same as the hardnes or softness. This site sells ink conditioners, but the text on their talc page made no sense to me. Perhaps it will to a bromoil printer.

Good luck

8. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Derek Watkins suggests candle wax (obviously uncoloured) or powdered aquatint resin, both needs to be melted. Other mediums include the aforementioned chalk/talc and powdered household starch. As an aside, the candle wax makes the ink a bit glossier.

You can tailor the matrix to be of higher relief (warmer water temperature), but maybe stiffening the ink (or buying a can of 1803 instead) is a better idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2011
  9. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I found litho ink to work fine. Why do you need to harden it?

10. gandolfi

gandolfi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    my 2 cents:

the oils I have worked are all far too soft for using without hardening. That's why I use it.

I buy the magnesium carbonate in the same store where I buy the ink, but I have also in the past tried something ammonium - something (the actual name eludes me).

As I have never tried the aforementioned suggestions, I'll stick (pun intended) to the magnesium....

Clive: one reason to use hardener is, that it can be a means to highten/lower the contrast in the final bromoil..

(the stiffer ink, the higher contrast..)

11. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know if I 'need' to harden it, just would like to now how so I can try using harder ink in comparison to a softer ink in my learning stage. By what Jerevan said a matix soaked in warmer water will accept the softer ink better. (i could not get the harder 1803)

12. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think one of the problems here is that there are probably as many variables in the modus operandi of making Bromoils, as there are people making them. I have always found achieving low contrast bromoils more difficult than high contrast versions. I have posted one on the experimental media gallery made with soft lithographic ink.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2011
  13. coobush

coobush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can use 81053: : Charbonnel Litho Crayon Black 200ml
    straight out of the can without any stiffening.
    Graphic Chemical product.

14. GLSmyth

GLSmyth Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  15. sarahfoto

sarahfoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had the pleasure to meet Maija McDougal last year who gave a demonstration of the technique and some advice. She told me that most inks sold today are to soft and she uses beeswax to stiffen it. I tried Silverprint Bromoil ink and was given a jar of Maija's ink, the later was much better! But then I am no expert.

16. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I read that, do you know in what ratios of Magnesium to Ink. I tried a 1:1of Magnesium Sulfate but didn't seem to effect it.

I did mix plain old candle wax and that certainly harden it up, but how it work I'll have to wait and see until after Christmas.

17. yashasvi bhuta

yashasvi bhuta Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    one can also use starch such as dextrine or pigment powder itself to harden the ink