Hardening fixer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by MartinCrabtree, Jan 15, 2012.

1. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are there any modern 35MM B&W films that require a hardening fixer? Just curious.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some might prefer to use one with EFKE/Adox films but I've happily used Hypam with these films over the past few years.

So there's no simple answer if you take care with temperatures softer emulsions are ok with non hardening fixers. For me there's no film that requires one.

Ian

3. Sundowner

Sundowner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know of anything that I've seen that "requires" one...but hardening fixer is pretty much "required" by me, personally, since I tend to scratch everything I touch.

4. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ahhh......................thanks Sundowner. That's a good point for a neophyte like me. Never would have thought of that on my own.

5. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have had hardener ruin negs when developing 8x10 film in a 3005 Jobo Expert Drum -- there would be a permanent mineral-like deposit on the back side of the films.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd encourage someone more in the know than me to jump in on this, but my understanding is that 35mm film from Kodak, Ilford or Fuji (and most others) is pre-hardened, and as a result adding hardener at the fixing stage does not improve their ability to resist physical damage - it just makes them harder to wash.

7. Rhodes

Rhodes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ilford hypam is a hardening fixer? I ask because is my current fixer, but thought that was similar to ilford rapid fixer. a non-hardener, right?

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i do work for federal and state archives
    and they require NON hardened fixer
    because hardener tends to trap in
    stuff you want to wash out
    if you attempt to do
    archival-anything

good luck !
    john

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think Ian is referring to Hypam as a non-hardening fixer, which I understand to be correct.

Its main difference from Ilford Rapid Fixer is that it will permit the adding of hardener, if one has a special purpose process that requires hardener.

10. Sundowner

Sundowner Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did not know that...hmm...

I also had not heard of pre-hardened films in 35mm.

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most modern films are pre-hardened, only a few are softer emulsions. Manufacturers don't recommend a hardening fixer these deays except for extremes likle high process tempertaures.

As Matt says Hypam is a non hardening fixer buffered to be usewd with a hardener if required. In nearly 40 years of using Hypam I've never seen the hardener on a dealers shelf as almost no-one uses it. Ilfotd Rapid Fixer is very similar but with a much lower level of buffering which makes it cheaper to produce. The buffering has no effects on the fixing but the pH must be kept more stable (around pH 5.2 - 5.4 for a hardener to work/

Ian

12. rbultman

rbultman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format