Hardware for a tripod thread

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Shinnya, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Shinnya

Shinnya Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I would like to mount a tripod thread onto the side of my Korona 7x17 camera so that I can stabilize it while I am shooting vertically. I was wondering if anyone know where to get the hardware for it.

Thank you for your input.

Warmly.
    Tsuyoshi

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most hardware stores carry both brass and stainless steel inserts in various threads that can be mounted in the camera..pretty common item, I keep a bunch around all the time for making or fixing things when needed.

Dave

3. Shinnya

Shinnya Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dave,

Thanks for your info. Do you happen to know one online? I do not seem to be able to find a good local hardware store other than Homedepot or Lowe's...

Warmly,
    Tsuyoshi

4. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might check Ace Hardware, that is where I buy them, also you might do an online google for threaded inserts, should be able to find something that way.

Dave

5. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the top of this very page displaying the thread is an ad for SK Grimes. Isn't that precisely what they do?

6. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am sure they could get you one, but their main business is shutters, not tripod threads. Hence I am sure the cost would be prohibitive.

Dave

7. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look in the hardware section of your Lowes or Home Depot for a 1/4" X 20 blind nut (aka T-nut).

8. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a good need for a few of these - and 3/8" too, and the 1/4" inside - 3/8" outside converters. But all I can find on Europe is metric...

9. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ole, Berlebach sells 1/4" female - 3/8" male bushings. www.berlebach.de , IIRC.

10. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So does HAMA - at a third of the price, but what I meant is that I can't go into a hardware shop and pick up a dozen 3/8" bolts/bushings/nuts or whatever.

11. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ole, the professional hardware stores here (industri och bygghandel) have imperial nuts and bolts, as well as dies and taps if you want to make your own inserts or drill-out and rethread a metric one. They don't carry things like t-nuts though. Another good local source would be a local branch of a UK car club: I sometimes used to get imperial threaded parts here from the local MG owners club.

I just had a quick look though my favourite suppliers in the UK (both amatuer DIY and lab suppliers like RS components) and you're right, they are all metric now.

McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com) will ship internationally and have several sorts of "Tee Nuts" in standard imperial threads.

Surely those Scottish rigs are built with imperial fittings. They won't miss a couple of nuts now will they....

12. knutb

knutb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shouldn't be entirely impossible; I bought a handful of 1/4"-20 nuts in a local (Oslo) hardware store. Check one of the more old fashioned stores - if you can find one that is - where everything isn't readlily packed in neat small plastic bags...

13. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM sent

14. barryjyoung

barryjyoung Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I am unsure if what we make would work for you, but we do make tripod sockets. They are solid brass and can be mounted flush or recessed into a shallow (.050 x 1.0 inch) counterbore. They are available in 1/4-20 or 3/8-16. They attach with three small flat head screws. Let me know if these will work for you.

Barry Young
    cameramaker.com

Attached Files:

15. barryjyoung

barryjyoung Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Or not I guess. Boy, do I know how to kill a thread or what?

16. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not at all Barry. It's great to know that these sorts of essential but hard to find when you need them parts are available at a known source.

I filed the post even if nobody else did :smile:

17. barryjyoung

barryjyoung Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    thank you

18. S.K. Grimes

S.K. Grimes Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Large Format
    S.K. Grimes is a machine shop for photographers and their equipment. While we also service shutters, the majority of our work involves the fabrication of various adapters, bushings, and plates. Samples of our work can be seen at www.skgrimes.com

Tsuyoshi - We would welcome the opportunity to fabricate a tripod bushing to fit your needs.

Adam Dau