HARMAN Holo FX

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Alex Bishop-Thorpe, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Press release from Ilford
    Freestyle Photo has them in stock

For those among us who tinker with Holography, this sounds pretty amazing. I'm assuming they could be adapted for normal in-camera use too, with some experimentation.

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cool! Thanks for sharing the link.

3. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! Good news for holographers! But of course, this also begs the obvious question...

If Harman is confident enough to introduce glass plates for a niche market as tiny as holography would seem to be, would the potential market for standard-sized, panchromatic glass plates be any larger than that? *

Common sense might say yes. But then, if sense were common, everybody would have it. In this case, maybe I don't...

:wink:

Ken

* They had to know this question would come quickly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
  4. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Holography, although very much related to b&w photography, seems to me to be a completely separate world that we have little awareness of. Because I agree, I'm wondering where the market is.

At any rate, this is awesome and even cooler that they specifically mention Lippmann-Bragg recording. However, are the plates adequately panchromatized to allow for "natural color" recording, or only narrow-band spectral stuff?

5. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Ken,

I am sure you have an abundance of common sense......

The issue with Glass Plates is that I bet you would want lots and lots of different sizes and emulsions and the supply chain is very delicate and the packaging is custom made, coating on glass has a high QC waste factor per m2 as well, so the costs per plate would just not be viable to produce commercially. Holography is most certainly a larger market by m2 than conventional emulsions on glass.

Regards Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

6. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure the current market for glass plates must be really tiny - but it is surely a bit of a self perpetuating problem... If it isn't possible to buy glass plates then the only people using them are the people making their own, quite a commitment. If glass plates were available again - might it encourage a few people to dig out the Thornton Picards, Sandersons and Rochesters and give it a go? I certainly would. Is it possible that demand may grow.... from really tiny to, er, just fairly tiny?

Could this ever be enough to tip the viability balance?

I wonder what is the most common plate camera out there? Half plate, I would guess. Would an experimental one off coating of, say, FP4 onto half plate be feasible just to test the demand? I wonder if the reaction might be similar to the ULF project, with enthusiasts putting a few boxes in the freezer in case they never get that size again and keeping their fingers crossed that they may get whole plate next year?

7. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glass plates for normal photography use would primarily be a nostalgic, hobbyist's market; of no practical use really. Holography on the other hand is practiced in countless universities the whole world over and has uses in security technology, data recording, etc.

I would like to know a bit more about the holography market if Simon could spare a few words on the topic.

8. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Absolutely true, of course - but the same could be said of most film photography these days... digital has taken over most of the commercial and industrial uses of film :-(
    Most of us now only use film because we want to...

9. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well that's true to a large extent, but art photography is still a business, and a vital industry to the people that are in it. Large format too, is a medium that is more economical to do with film than digital. And then there's the movie industry...

I guess glass plates would basically be a niche within a niche.

What they really need to do is create a panchromatic liquid emulsion! Then we could easily coat our own glass.

10. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You, sir, have obviously not yet spoken with my wife...

:tongue:

I suppose I knew that. But I had to ask anyway. I can't imagine anything more fun than contemporary glass plates. Except maybe bitumin on pewter plates developed in oil of lavender. Guess I'll just need to start hanging out on Denise Ross' website and (secretly) purchase PE's forthcoming book.

(But should you ever change your minds, I have both 5x7 and 8x10 wooden plate holders and a camera that will accept them, so those would be the ONLY sizes you would EVER need to manufacture...)

:cool:

This I did not know. How facinating. I wonder if the holography market is more artistic or more scientific? Thanks for that.

Ken

11. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suspect it's more scientific, but I wonder myself. Holography is exceptionally cool.. particularly 3-color holography (check out Yves Gentet's Ultimate Holography website).