Harrison tent - decomposing

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Ian David, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greetings
    I have a Harrison Pup changing tent of which I am very fond. However, I was just admiring it a few minutes ago and have discovered that the internal lining around the arm holes (between the outer silver layer and the black internal layer) has started to perish - i.e. is becoming gooey/sticky. In fact, the texture of other parts of the tent suddenly seems to suggest that it might be about to die. This is a bit distressing. Don't suppose anyone else has encountered or heard of this problem? I would like to get another Pup but am reluctant to do so if this is likely to happen again.
    Thanks for any info.
    Ian

2. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't know how old yours is or how it's been stored; mine is five years old or so and looks brand new---it's seen a lot of use, but entirely indoors.

I'd get another and not worry about it.

3. kswatapug

kswatapug Advertiser

If you have used that in conditions when you had to deal with insects, then it may be a chemical reaction. You need to be careful not to let DEET covered arms come in contact with the fabric, as it will melt.

4. theblood

theblood Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I forgot where but there was another thread discussing this problem (largeformat, I think). As I recall, there were a quite a few with this stickiness. It was from an early run of the product and Harrison was aware of the problem and providing some type of compensation or repair. I do remember that they stood by their product, so I'd email or give them a call.

JY

5. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the above replies. I have since found a couple of other threads about this on the LFPF site. I have now sent an email to the manufacturers and will see what happens...