Harry Callahan: The Photographer at Work

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by ganymede, Sep 16, 2006.

1. ganymede

ganymede Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This exhibit for Callahan is at the Art Institute for those in /near Chicago. Hurry, it is only there for one more week. I just saw it today; I always liked Callahan in books, but seeing the originals of so many famous shots is something else. There are even the negatives of several famous Callahan shots - Trees - Lake Shore Drive, Elenore - Lake Michigan, and others; looking at the negatives (they are displayed on light boxes) you can see how Callahan chose to print them into their final famous versions most of the time he went very contrasty , and eliminated the detail in the neg. ALso shows how he "defied" Ansel and printed something very contrasty (I think it was "Weeds in snow.)
    Anyway, I'm not doing justice to the exhibit, or HC. If you
    like Callahan, (or even if you don't - this show may change yer mind) get down there before Sept. 24.

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's also a book with the same title recently been published-looks well worth a look:smile:

3. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sorry guys,

Everybody knows that Harry Callahan is a detective that lives in San Fransisco. (sheesh)

4. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Couldn't help myself.

5. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do ya feel lucky punk?! :tongue: :wink:

6. BOSS565

BOSS565 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "Was it 11 exposures or 12"

7. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mr. Brunner do you have this detectives phone number? Is he dirty and hairy? I would like to hire him to see if Ms brim's conclusion of Mr blansky anatomy is correct. All that would be necessary would be to go to Blansky's code and give him a reverse zip.

8. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    In deference to hijacking Ganymede's thread, I would like to say, that I was not altogether familiar with Callahan's work. I have checked out what I could find online, and I am a richer better person for the time and effort. I wish more actual exhibits came to Utah.

CLAIRE! I think you have actually damaged my spleen!

9. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Unfortunately there are APUG members that only know about detective Harry Callahan and not the photographer.

10. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Harold Callahan that I remember was a very effective shooter.

11. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The show has things you normally don't see in a show of this sort. "Outtakes" of some of his famous images are really good to see. So are the negatives and the contact sheets.

If you do go to the AIC, and if you feel the room illumination is too low, please let them know. I feel that all their shows (I am a member) are way too dark and you really can't see the print very well. I've heard the standard response that keeping the illumination low is less stressful on the prints, but once you get below a certain level, you may as well look at the images in the book in the bookstore which has much better illumination levels.

Rant off. It still is a very good show by a very good artist.

John

12. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's always good to see outtakes and contacts as they give extra insight into a photographer's thought processes,-you see how and why they arrived at the point they did (recent Arbus show in London was a case in point).