Has anyone seens this easel before and what do you think?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Shaggysk8, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  2. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow...that's...I don't know. It could actually be quite useful as long as you have a nice, sturdy surface to put it on. I don't think I'd pay $75 for it, though.

3. jamesgignac

jamesgignac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks pretty neat - I'd probably buy it if it were located nearer to me...but I have a few projects for which I could use something like this. Hope that helps :smile:

4. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yeah i do have a lovely big table which my enlarger is bolted too, I didn't think it was to badly priced, I am sure you could make one cheeper

5. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah just get some strip magnets and a magnetic surface.

6. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To me, it looks like it would be very fiddley to work with, and might not hold the typical double-weight fiber paper that is common now.
    I'm with Stephanie, it's interesting, but I wouldn't pay that much for it. I only have slightly more than that invested in the two 4 blade easels I own.

7. eli griggs

eli griggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here's another vote for magnets and steel sheet. The easel you show might be great for deliberate distortions but heavy paper might just be too much trouble to keep flat and if you need to distort a photograph, you can most likely come up with something just as versatile.

When I made my magnetic easel set-up, I used really strong ΒΌ" (6mm) rare-earth magnets, which I embedded into hardwood strips that were planed true and painted flat black. They're easier to lift and position for me and I've yet to meet the photo paper that can't be held firmly in place with these, though my prints are rarely as large as 16x20". You could even go so far as to embed some of these into your baseboard to hold your sheet of metal in place as a semi-permanent easel.

Eli

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are bothered by slightly out of alignment edges with an easel, this would drive you right off the edge.

9. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It does have markings on it, but I did wonder that myself