Has anyone used Agfa Fix-AG?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Simonh82, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Simonh82

Simonh82 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently picked up some Agfa Fix-AG which I've not used before. The dilutions listed on the bottle for FB paper fixing are 1:7 and 1:9 The respective times for these dilutions are 1-3 minutes and 3-5 minutes.

I would love to be able to use it at 1:7 for 1 minute fixing time to minimise fixer retention and wash times but can anyone verify this is Ok. Should I just go with the standard 1:4 dilution if I want short fixing times?

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The shorter times are for fresh fixer. As the fixer is reused the fixing time will become longer. So you might be able to get by with 1 min for the first few prints. But I would not recommend it..

3. heterolysis

heterolysis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I cracked open an age-old 5L bottle of Agfa fix last fall. Some sediment on the bottom, but I decanted the top, mixed it up, and it worked still. Was noticeably weaker, so I used it more concentrated, and for prints only--I can always remake those.

4. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Usually fixer concentrate tends to sulfur out over the years. It's still usable, but yes, I would up the concentration and avoid getting the particulate matter involved. That being said, a small amount of particulate won't harm anything.