Has anyone used Blue Moon Camera?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Ektagraphic, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Guys- I am shooting more color neg now and I want to get everything done optically. I found Blue Moon Camera and Machine http://www.bluemooncamera.com/ and they do all optical work from film. They don't even have a digital machine :smile:)) I was wondering if anyone has used them. They are using Misubishi paper which I have never heard of.

Thanks,
    Patrick

2. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have just ordered some Minox film from them, they were very quick and helpful online, haven't received the film yet but I get a good vibe. The optical printing sounds good, will also be interested in anyone's experience with that.
    When I was in the lab business, Mitsubishi was always a cheaper alternative to Kodak and Fuji, they are a big player, especially in Japan, and I can see no reason why the paper wouldn't be good.

3. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I get a good vibe after talking to them too. They told me that they have used the Kodak and Fuji but found that for optical printing the Mitsubishi paper worked out better.

4. jslabovitz

jslabovitz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I live near Portland, and often frequent Blue Moon -- mostly for equipment, but occasionally for processing. They are really good folks, and know their stuff.

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    spoke with them on the phone a few weeks ago,
    they are an apug sponsor and if you haven't been to
    and seems like one of the coolest places ...
    ( makes me wish i lived near portland! )
    they sell typewriters too :wink:

6. SchwinnParamount

SchwinnParamount Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Heck yes. Jake (the owner of the place) is a great guy. Knowlegable and interesting to talk to. His staff are great photographers in their own right. They do great work with developing and printing. If you want an old manual typewriter, Jake is your man.

7. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have used them and I know some of them as they are in my neighborhood. I like the optical printing they do and they try to do a good job of it. They are all dedicated to the love of analog. The owner shoots 8x10. Give them your work, they deserve to be supported.
    Dennis, in North Portland

8. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I ordered something from them a year ago; they were pretty awesome. Sent me a detailed, full-resolution picture of the item I was interested in (I didn't even ask for it) for me to look over before making the deal. Shipped really fast. I can definitely recommend them, and if I'm ever in portland I'm going to stop by.

9. ernest b.

ernest b. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used them (online and phone orders from Maryland) and have been pleased and impressed. Highly recommended!

10. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  11. SchwinnParamount

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yeah, Portland is a cool place. Blue Moon is in a district called St. John's. It used to be sorta down and out. The area is really coming back and there are a lot of fun things to do in the area now.

By the way, my old manual typewriter needs a service and Blue Moon will be able to make my typewriter as good as new...except for the platin which cannot be replaced. They have some sort of process to make it almost like new.

12. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A friend of mine was just there yesterday, came away with an Agfa Solinette II and nearly bought an old Royal typewriter. He was fairly gushing about the place. I may have to take them my olde Underwood.

13. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Can someone comment on the quality of the paper that they use? I just mailed two Portra 400 VC 120 to them and requested glossy prints.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. seanmophoto

seanmophoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    blue moon is great...I live in portland and use them a lot for prints. I bit spendier than some of the other places in town, but the optical prints are worth it for important work.
    great guys and one of the only places in town you can find old analog gear

17. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I live in Portland as well and really love Blue Moon. It's a great oasis for those of us who appreciate older equipment and of course film shooting.

18. Sysygy

Sysygy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    OP: Have your prints returned? Would love to know if you like them.

19. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I was short on my check and I kept forgetting to send them some more $$ but they are on their way now. I'll certainly post when they arrive.

20. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just got the prints back and I must say I am amazed!!! I only have a couple of real optical color prints and I guess I forgot just how amazing they look! I am now doing all my color on C-41 and going through Blue Moon! They are OUTSTANDING!!!!!! They even put the negatives in PrintFile sleves instead of some cheapo thing. I HIGHLY reccomend sending some film their way!

21. Denis R

Denis R Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ttiwwop

all text and no examples is very dull

22. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't do a lot of color except for wedding stuff now and then but the few times I have taken my rolls of color to Blue Moon I was like you. I had forgotten how much better optical prints look than digital prints. They really did seem to me more natural looking.
    Dennis

23. SchwinnParamount

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It is sad that other retailers can get away with foisting off vastly inferior digital (or whatever they are) prints on the public. It just seems so dishonest. If the other guys are going to sell me crappy prints, they should charge me MUCH LESS than Blue Moon.

24. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll make some scans tomorrow night. The best way to see the real quality is to try it....My scanner is not amazing.

25. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought about getting some Ektar for my Mamiya, but I had no idea who to send it to...I guess I do now. :D

26. marylandphoto

marylandphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I most certainly will try Blue Moon Camera! Only problem is, I shoot such little C41 these days...