Hass 50mm F2.8 - arrived !

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Sim2, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Sim2

Sim2 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hallo,

:D

Rather chuffed today - just taken delivery of a Hass 50mm F2.8. Been searching for one for a while, no scratches looks real nice & got a disount off list price.

Bit heavy though - lol!

Sorry, but just had to share without having to explain why!

Looking forward to giving it a run out this week.

Cheers,
    Sim2

2. Robland

Robland Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use mine along with the 150mm. Or I take the 80mm solo. The 50 has a very close focus. Enjoy.

3. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congrats!
    That "bit heavy" is something you will be saying/thinking quite a lot. :wink:

4. Sim2

Sim2 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Was sunny when I got home, so have just blatted a film with this lens. Oooooooo, I think I like. Didn't appreciate how wide a 50mm is on 6x6 or how close this can focus. Shot some stuff into the light to be really unfair and be able to criticize the flare, but seemed controlled.

Can see a Lee w/a adapter in my future and possibly a stepping ring for the 105mm polarizer - when does the spending stop??????

Sim2.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2010
  5. pgomena

pgomena Member

I'm continually amazed at the ability of Hasselblad lenses and coatings to fight flare. I recently photographed a dark-toned room with very bright windows and saw no noticeable flare bleeding into the room. This is with an early 90s 50mm Distagon, not a FLE.The admission price may be steep, but the gear is worth every penny.

Peter Gomena

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And yet people keep posting "Should I buy a non-T* C lens? I can save almost $60US." "C lenses are oh so cheap." There is a reason. The market tells the story.

Steve

7. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The market tells a story about people's fears and hopes. Those are the reasons.
    The difference between T and T* isn't that big, and it's well worth considering getting T (without *) lenses (if they are in good condition).
    Try it yourself sometimes. Test T vs T* lenses and see for yourself what the answer to the question in your post is.

8. yeknom02

yeknom02 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Regarding the "bit heavy" part - would you say you're able to walk around town with the Hasselblad or is it really more of a studio or tripod-based camera?

9. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don' own a 50 2.8 but shoot handheld on the street with a 500 c/m 50/4 80/2.8 150/4 all day if need be.

My V series 'blad is easily handholdable compared to my RZ :wink:

10. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Not meaning to be a smartass, but Carl Zeiss AG made the lens, not Hasselblad.

Hasselblad makes the camera bodies, and Zeiss makes the lenses.

But I agree that these lenses are first-rate.

11. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did not know Zeiss marked there lens with just a T,always see the T*.

Mike

12. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    T is for "Transparenz" and is Zeiss' short-name for their single-coating technologie. Therefore, if a Zeiss-lens is single-coated it's T-coated although not marked as such.

13. Sim2

Sim2 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It seems to me that the only light bit of a Hass is the body itself - once I pop things onto that the weight does rocket! I intended to use it tripod based and mostly studio so whilst not irrelevant the weight was not primary consideration - if I was intending to wander around a lot and didn't want close-up capabilities I would probably have gone with a Mamiya 7.

That said, had a wander with the 50 and a monopod nad lived to tell the tale, so not all bad ! :D

14. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Indeed.

Yet i must confess that i have substituted the F 50 with a CF 50 many times i knew i was going to carry the stuff all day long.

15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, those lens shutters are h-e-a-v-y!

16. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I once read that Hasselblad when they receive the lenses from Zeiss AG test them in their quality control dept., and reject around fifty percent of them and return them as being below their standard they want to supply to their customers, so they know every lens they supply is a good one.