Hass Manufacturing D250 Water Mixer--great product

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Jeffrey A. Steinberg, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Jeffrey A. Steinberg

Jeffrey A. Steinberg Member

(I have no connection with this company...Just a consumer).

I was having a hard time controlling process temperature when other people opened and closed faucets in the house. My old hand mixer just wasn't cutting it and always had to be reset.

I invested (and I mean invested) in one of these computer-controlled mixing valves and it stay spot on every time. Best investment in my darkroom since I build my darkroom.

2. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. I've had one for about 3 years and it's a marvelous piece of equipment.

Richard Wasserman

3. Jeffrey A. Steinberg

Any problems over the 3 years. Do you unplug yours when not in use?

4. wfwhitaker

wfwhitaker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another happy customer here. If you buy one, be sure to consider the "low-flow" option which allows you to maintain temperature control down to 1/4 gpm.

Although my darkroom is in boxes at this point, when I did have it set up, I had all the outlets on a master switch. Sounds fancy, but it's not. Since there was only one circuit serving that room, I hardwired everything off the outlet which was controlled by the wall switch. Turning off the wall switch when I left meant everything was off - no chance of leaving any piece of equipment on.

5. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Another shout out to Hass eng. for their brilliant design. I got mine hooked up to a ra4 wash tank and it delivers 35c at a quarter gallon per minute all day long. And I've never unplugged it.

6. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Most of my use is at low flow rates. When I bought my controller, I didn't think about this and ordered the regular flow model. It works fine, but if/when I buy another one, I'll get the low flow model.

I have the same setup, and always turn my controller off after each session.

The Hass D250 is an excellent product. I can't imagine ever going back to the old style contoller.

7. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The low flow chip is a snap to install and only costs like $25

8. Jeffrey A. Steinberg

I believe they all ship now with the low flow kit. There is a more expensive one that is for higher flows.

9. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Where can one get one of these temperature controllers. The old mechanical temperature mixer on my very old Kreonite water jacket sink I use for processing E-6 has failed, and I need to replace it.

10. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's the link, for anyone else who's curious.
    I've been eyeing one for a while, they look pretty solid.

11. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too have no connection to Hass Mfg other than being a satisfied customer...

When I designed and built my current darkroom I was told by someone that I should "give up something else in order to get one of these" units. It was the best darkroom advice I've ever received. I subsequently purchased and installed one of the Intellifaucet K250 models and I have never regretted it. Rock solid water temperature control down to a tenth of a degree (well 2/10ths, actually) is downright spooky. This thing is so good that in my frequently below 68F/20C ambient room temperatures I will often set the unit to supply water at, say, 68.3F/20.2C in order to counteract the loss of tempered water heat to the air. And it works absolutely perfectly and repeatably every time. As I said - spooky.

Before investing (and while constructing) I did perform a twice-monthly cold water line check for one full year. I wanted to make certain my water temps were within a range that would make the investment worthwhile in terms of how often I could use the unit. As it turned out, my lowest temp was 43F/06C in February and my highest was 67F/19C in August. And testing showed the low-flow option to work perfectly while supplying 68F even at the peak 67F August mark.

Ken