Hasselblad 500 CM Light Leak

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by LeahMorgan, Jun 25, 2010.

1. LeahMorgan

LeahMorgan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Hasselblad 500 cm appears to have a light leak, and I am trying to figure out how the light is coming in and how to fix it. I am not sure if it is the back, or the camera body. Any thoughts or ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Prarry

Prarry Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looks like the light trap on the back - where the dark slide goes in. Trap is not difficult to replace with the correct parts. Got mine from Hasselblad Service in Gothenburg, but that was rather a few years ago now, there must be sources closer to you.

3. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Always good to change the seal.

But am i right when i think you've posted the image left-right reversed?
    If so, that doesn't help diagnose the problem!

And if so, it may not be the dark slide slot seal.
    What else it is i don't know right now.

4. declark

declark Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One of my backs had a huge leak similar to what I see on your image. Check eb@y for "Hasselblad light trap" add "OEM" if you want. Can be had for about $12 to $25. Easy to replace, demo can be seen on YouTube IIRC. There are about 9 little screws to keep track of and a stamped spring or two that will usually stay in place if you are careful, but not hard to put back in place if you are not... provided it doesn't fling across the room never to be seen again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2010
  5. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can get them from Hasselblad USA for $15 or 16 ea + postage, just call them.

6. raoul

raoul Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One further tip for people who have multiple backs is when replacing the light seals to make another notch on the side of the metal frame - this way you can identify which back has the leak.

7. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know.
    If one of your backs needs the seal replacing, it would be good to change seals in all of your backs.
    You wouldn't want to wait until they too fail and ruin your photos, do you?

So my tip: find a suitable, cheap alternative foam, and make changing foams in your backs a regular occurance. Do it once a year. All of them at the same time.

8. LeahMorgan

LeahMorgan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the help. I bought some light seals off ebay. I think the picture was scanned in the right way, but I could be wrong. It was a while ago.

9. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I asked, because i think that those are the two Hasselblad Vees that are just about visible, cutting through the right edge of the frame.
    If they are that, the image as shown is left-right reversed.

If you haven't changed seals in Hasselblad magazines before, have a look at this page.