Hasselblad 500CM strap issues

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by gregmacc, Jan 27, 2010.

1. gregmacc

gregmacc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all ... Starting to come to grips with the solid hunk of cuboid metal that is the 500CM ... Having a lot of fun with my new adventure into MF, but I'm getting a sore neck from all that weight and the narrow (but beautiful) Hasselblad leather strap combo. I'm totally new to WLFs and find that the strap adjusted to exactly the correct length helps greatly with stability. It also frees the left hand to make lens adjustments rather than having to help support the weight of the 'blad.
    I have a nice wide neoprene strap but I would need to butcher the Hasselblad clips from the leather strap and obviously won't be doing that. So what have people done to overcome this issue? Can clips be purchased without the rest of the strap? Are third party straps an option?
    Cheers

2. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've bought a beat up strap for couple bucks (shipping was more than the strap) off ebay sometime ago to get the clips.

Mike

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Op/Tech straps work pretty well. The clips aren't as nice as what are on Hasselblad straps, but in practical terms, that doesn't matter much. In general, they are nicely made compared to many 3rd party products.
    I've had bad luck trying to get junk straps from ebay for the clips, but I've never made a really determined effort.

Hasselblad makes (made??) a wide strap too, they are a combination of nylon webbing and leather. They are plentiful on ebay, though not necessarily cheap.

Here's what the Op/Tech looks like;
    http://www.adorama.com/OTSPANY.html

4. gregmacc

gregmacc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mikebarger ... Thanks ... I'll give that a try.
    bdial ... Thanks for the info about the wide Hasselblad straps ... I'll go have a look.
    Cheers

5. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Get the wider Hasselblad strap version ( I have both the leather thin original and the wider one) and start using the camera on the shoulder.

6. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Posted wirelessly..

I have the Optec strap and love it. You can detach the strap and have a hand strap of the connectors.

7. Tobster

Tobster Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Another vote for the Op/Tech strap. I have one for my 500 C/M and i'm really satisfied with it.

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a wide Hasselblad strap for my 503 CX because it is heavy when I put the 150mm or 250mm lenses on. The wide strap sometimes gets tangled up with the A-12 back and the body crank.

I use a narrow Hasselblad strap for my 903 SWC because it is lighter. The wide strap would get tangled up with the narrower body and the body crank.

Steve

9. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hasselblad had four straps a while back and may still carry them. The wide strap #59080 was 1 1/2 inches wide adjustable length up to 59 inches. Mine have been in use close to twenty years. Check their product catalog as they may still be available.

10. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a glutton for punishment so got a spare set of clips & made up some short adjustable straps and used Domke center sections.

11. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I also use the wide strap mostly (when i use a strap: most of the time i don't. The camera goes into the bag when not used. Have to carry that bag anyway. And it is easly accessible.)
    What helps, i find, is to not put the strap around your neck, but over your shoulder. Shoulders are much better in carrying weight than necks. :wink:

P.S. Saw that André gave the same advice. So "Snap!"

12. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the Hasselblad wide strap (1.5 inches) - I much prefer it to the standard 1 inch strap. I often carry it across the chest (ie over the neck and shoulder) if I am going any distance. The camera hangs at your side and bounces around a lot less that way.

Ian

13. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ditto

14. gregmacc

gregmacc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the responses people. Had a look at the Optec strap (online , not in the flesh). It's a bit difficult to judge from the photos but it looks a bit cheap and nasty to me ... am I wrong?
    About using the strap over the shoulder: I plan to be using the camera with a prism mounted on a tripod 70% of the time ... no strap required. I will need a strap 20% of the time when using the WLF hand-held. I'm assuming the over the shoulder suggestions relate to being on the move. When I'm on the move the camera travels in my backpack (unless I'm just walking a block or two).

15. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's the thing why i don't use straps often.
    When on the move in the bag is the way to carry the camera.
    When in hand or on a tripod, the camera is in hand or on a tripod.
    When would you need a strap? :wink:

16. jolefler

jolefler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the narrow strap...

...but I put a 6" X 2" leather pad lined with foam on it. The pad sits on my neck/shoulder. Slides on & off and cost $1.00, how can ya' go wrong?

Jo

17. jolefler

jolefler Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When the camera slips out of your hand when using handheld? Or when fumbling with the meter/flash. I'll keep my strap on for those "last second saves"!

Jo

18. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I never dropped a camera yet. :wink:
    But yes, that's when i use a strap (over the shoulder, or wrapped around my wrist): when i fear that something or someone will knock the camera from my hands.

19. gregmacc

gregmacc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    QG ... From my original post: "I'm totally new to WLFs and find that the strap adjusted to exactly the correct length helps greatly with stability. It also frees the left hand to make lens adjustments rather than having to help support the weight of the 'blad" ... I've never used a Hasselblad or WLF before and at the moment, when standing and shooting hand-held it just feels awkward without the strap taking some of the weight. Maybe that will change with familiarity and experimentation.

20. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use a strap when and how it feels comfortable to you. Don't let others' personal rules worry you. There is a reason why almost all cameras are sold with some form of strap: they are useful.

Ian