Hasselblad 501C Vignette?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Brandon D., Jun 22, 2010.

1. Brandon D.

Brandon D. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In January, I was shooting with a polaroid back and I discovered that there was a dark vignette at the bottom of my polaroid images. It actually looked pretty cool, so I didn't think much of it at the time. But, now, I've discovered that the vignette still occurs when I use normal A12 backs. So, I doubt it's a problem with my film backs.

Anyone have an idea of what this could be (please see the images attached)?

I use a PM-45 prism and a Carl Zeiss 80mm CF T lens.

Much thanks!

Brandon

Attached Files:

2. kristopher_lawrence

kristopher_lawrence Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would say that the back shutter doesn't open completely... Have a look at that.

3. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    by back shutter Kristopher means the 2 back flaps that open when you press the shutter button (in front of the film magazine)

to check this remove the film magazine, then fire the shutter (and hold the shutter release in) - the top and bottom flaps should be neatly tucked out of the way - if you can see them looking straight through the back then they are not opening fully..

I suspect the top one that goes up towards the focussing screen will be sticking down a fair bit. To fix it you need to take the camera to a technician - they will then adjust the flap as required...

4. Brandon D.

Brandon D. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow, thanks a ton!!!

You guys were exactly correct. And, yes, it is the top flap.

I happened to meet a former Hasselblad repairman at a local Barnes & Nobel here in town, and we chatted for a few hours -- actually, he gave me a 4 hour lecture on cameras, hahaha. But, he has been retired for years. I might have to dig up his e-mail address to see where he'd recommend I send it.

5. Andrew K

Andrew K Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Brandon

it's a pretty easy job to fix (I used to repair them as well..) - with luck he might be willing to do it for you

Good Luck!

Andrew

6. amac212

amac212 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like you have your answers - yes, it's the shutter curtain. :smile:

7. Brandon D.

Brandon D. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I brought it to my local camera shop today, and the owner said he's seen the problem a few times before. Their repairman will be in on Monday, so I'll keep you guys updated on what happens. Thanks, again!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2010