Hasselblad 501CM kit value?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mike_murtaugh, Sep 13, 2010.

1. mike_murtaugh

mike_murtaugh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello everyone,

I'm contemplating selling my hasselblad kit and was curious of its value.

I've been searching the main used sites and also comparing brand new models and think I have a general idea but would be interested in what you guys think.

Kit includes:

501 (black) CM body
    80 mm 2.8/80 CFE
    A-12 (black) back

Thanks,

Mike

2. mike_murtaugh

mike_murtaugh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'd also be curious if anyone thinks that selling it would even be worth it given it would be costly to re-invest at a later date? Not to mention your hassy could last a lifetime.

3. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a near-mint condition 501CM, WLF, 80CB, A12 back for £1100 from a shop with warranty. Not sure what they'd be worth elsewhere on the planet though and I don't know how much I'd be able to sell it myself. Just monitor a few ebay auctions and see how much they go for.

Would it be worth selling? Depends. If I could sell if for £900 and then buy it again for £1100, that's £200 out of pocket. It would depend how much I needed the cash and whether I'd be looking to re-buy 6 months or 3-4 years later.

4. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check KEH. They seem to set values for used stuff. Of course you can bet better deals on eBay but you might not be able to return it like you can with KEH.

5. luvcameras

luvcameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. mike_murtaugh

mike_murtaugh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks, thats a really useful guide.

7. mike_murtaugh

mike_murtaugh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    What does everyone think about 1,650.00 ?

I'd grade the camera "Like New minus"

I've attached some pictures. I bought this camera new so only one owner, glass is perfect and no blemishes on the outside body.

Thanks for your input!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      80.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      72.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      64.9 KB
      Views:
  8. mike_murtaugh

mike_murtaugh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    anyone?

9. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're putting it up for sale, you should put an entry in the classifieds.

10. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd say it's too much.

But that's just because i wouldn't pay that much for it. Maybe someone else will. Who knows.
    Difficult questions, the "how much is it worth" thingies.

But indeed: one way to find out is to put if up in the classifieds. If someone is willing to pay what you are asking... you'll have your answer.
    :wink:

11. mike_murtaugh

mike_murtaugh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    thanks guys.

@ bdial I'm just trying to get a sense of the price before I decide to put it up for sale.

@ Q. G. Good idea. I think I'll put it on there soon. If you were in the market for this camera/setup what would you want to give for it?

12. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I paid under $1,000 back in January for my 501CM (black) body
    80mm 2.8
    A-24 (black) back

You asked....

13. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Michael,

Hard to say.
    It's like trying to decide what you would like to eat tomorrow when you have just eaten slightly more than you should have. My appetite for a stuff like this is, at least for now (?), fully satisfied.
    It depends on the market too.

Having said all that, i'd say about 400 for the body. A bit more for the lens (CFE lenses go for a bit more than any of the others), so let's say 600. No more than 200 for the magazine. Totals US$ 1200.

But that's just my take on it! I'm not saying that if someone else puts a higher value on it, he/she would be wrong.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. originalphoto

originalphoto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I got my one from ebay last year, with 80CFE and A12. almost same condition as yours, i paid $1145 plus $50 shipping charge.

16. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The "how much is my stuff worth?" question is always a tough one. It depends on the condition of the equipment, current market demand and a bit of luck.

Prices for certain cameras rise and fall, sometimes without logic. I think it's generally a broad range when it comes to camera value.

When people ask me this, I usually give them a broad range, because, for the most part, it depends. That, and I'm tired of answering, "How much is my camera worth?"

And for the most part, it's usually worth a lot less than what you think it is or what you paid for it.

17. guyjr

guyjr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I paid $1699 (minus a nice % for bing cashback at the time) on eBay for what I will call a nearly "brand new" kit almost identical to what you are describing, except it was chrome, and included original kit box and all instructions. This was around June 2009.

18. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I bought one in Excellent condition, with a prism and quick mount about 3 months ago for $300 if that helps.

19. mike_murtaugh

mike_murtaugh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks to everyone responding.

I totally agree that its the luck of the draw to get a price your happy with. Not to mention its probably worth less than what you think it is (as some of you have mentioned).

Appreciate the feedback!

20. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it's location specific (supply and demand). If you sell outside of South Korea, the cost of shipping will likely dampen your selling price. If you can sell locally, you may get more than international sources might suggest (assuming there is not a glut of using H'blad in South Korea).

21. DrPablo

DrPablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    500 c/m kits with a single back and an 80mm lens often go for $500-$700, and the difference between a 500 and a 501 is not all that great. I got a 500 c/m with 50, 80, and 150mm lenses plus a filter set, flash bracket, three A12 backs, and prism finder for only $1400 -- so I don't think that pricing the 501/80 combo over $1000 is going to get you a sale.

22. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    On the other hand, when you buy from the original owner, who can then answer specific questions.

In this instance, it's clear that you used the camera carefully. If you had been one of those who proudly beat the daylights out the gear, that greatly diminishes its value.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
  23. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    We can't just assume 500 C/M prices will also be valid for an 501 CM!
    And the CFE lens definitely is worth more than any of the other 80 mm lenses.

24. DrPablo

DrPablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 501 body at KEH right now is $310 -- in bargain condition, which as anyone who has shopped at KEH knows is what people on Ebay usually call "like new".

25. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's a 501 C, Paul.
    Not a 501 CM.

26. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where i can find 500CM body with WLF only, and maybe with the lens 80mm, i don't want the back/magazine, only the body with the finder, the lens is plus if included, but no magazine, and the only condition is that 500CM MUST be chrome, i may accept that it including the A12 back if the body is chrome and the back is black.