Hasselblad 503CW reviews?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by vladimer, May 26, 2005.

1. vladimer

vladimer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello guys! I am planning to update my 35mm system to medium format, actualy to have them both!
    I was wondering which are my choices!
    I know Hasselblad 503CW is everyones choise... I also love it!
    I need to read reviews, Just want to more about them and zeiss lenses!
    Thank you

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well to start with, if you are looking to pruchase a new camera, the 503CW is the last "square" camera they are making. The 501CM has been cancelled but I am sure you can still find them in stock.

The 503 has TTL Flash metering and will accept the CW winder.

There is a ton of info if you go to google.

3. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know if medium format cameras have reviews like 35mm cameras do. Its just different marketing segment. Not like a company wants to sway you from Brand X to Brand Y in 35mm. If you are looking at medium format, you already know the obvious advantages.

The 503cw can take the winder. Do you need one? People who often want to upgrade from 35mm to medium format always want that "35mm feel". They get the 90 degree prism and motor drive and find that it is not as fast as a 35mm. The 503CW also has the gliding mirror. I have the 503cxi and I don't believe it has the mirror but I used to have the 501CM. When I use it with tubes and 150mm, I get fall off on the top. If you know you will invest in TTL, not cheap BTW on Hasselblads, then you'll need the 503cw.

Do you live in a big city that you can rent one of these for a weekend? You should try it out first. Big fat lenses are not easy to focus if you want to do it fast like 35mm.

4. vladimer

vladimer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actualy I dont want any automatic stuff! I just want to have great carl zeiss lens on 6x6 format to put on tripod, to metter light with my sekonic and the shoot!

5. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahhh, I would go with the 501CM and spend the money on lenses. (oh, get an Acute Matte Screen if it doesn't have one).

6. vladimer

vladimer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you for advice eric!

7. vladimer

vladimer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    how about 500cm? because 501 is bit expensive

8. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The TTL feature of the 503CW is the real difference, but only if you use handheld flash systems.

9. vladimer

vladimer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    if the TTL feature is only reason to spend extra 2000$ I can leave without it...
    if there is anything else please do tell!
    plus I can metter flash through my sekonic!

10. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 503CW allows you to attach the Winder CW - which I guess in the end is also more money! And, you can get them in 5 different colours plus chrome and black! LOL

Art.

11. vladimer

vladimer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    common! i own Nikon F6! I have all the fancy features that can only human have in one camera :smile: I just want pure 6x6 with zeiss! I just adore quality and aethtetics of it!

12. Magnus

Magnus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Review for a Hassleblad 503 ... who needs it, it's a perfect camera ...

(very subjective I know)

13. vladimer

vladimer Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    exactly!

14. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keep it simple, shoot on the 500 C/M, and put your money on the glass!

Cheers

André

15. brent8927

brent8927 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Take a look at a 501C too. I think they're by far the best bargain because they're a slightly newer model (came right before the 501CM) and come with an acute-matte screen. Purchased separately a standard acute-matte screen might cost about $100, unless you get a great deal on ebay. I had a 501CM for a while and honestly I preferred the 501C. Of course, I don't use use long focal length lenses, in fact, I only use the 80mm.

But definetely, definetely, definetely get an acute-matte screen. It really is a world of difference and makes composing not only so much easier, but more fun.

I do agree with the previous seller too; put your money on the glass. My justification for moving from my Bronica S2A (which used great Nikkor lenses) to the Hasselblad was that Zeiss makes the best lenses. However, buying a Zeiss lens with marks all over the coating and scratches is definetely not going to produce better photographs than one of those Nikkors in perfect condition. So, if you're going to buy a Zeiss, buy a perfect one.

I actually have an almost-mint 80mm C lens if you're interested. It's actually a late C lens, which means it's exactly like the CF (it looks like a CF lens, not the normal C lenses) lenses except for three differences: No coupling lever (so you can turn the shutter and aperature rings together), no "F" setting (so you can use it on a Hasselblad with focal plane shutter, unless you use "B") and all the markings on the lens are white (as oppossed to orange, grey and white). Optically the lens is exactly the same as the CF lens.

I'm not sure how much you want to spend on a lens/kit, but my asking price would be $460 plus shipping. The reason I'm selling it is that I really like the aperature-shutter rings being able to be coupled together, so I bought a CF lens. If you don't think you need that feature then this might be a good change to get a very nice lens in great shape at a low price. If you're interested feel free to PM me with you're e-mail address and I can send you some pictures.

-Brent

16. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Seller????? I`m not selling nothing, Brent!

Cheers

André

17. brent8927

brent8927 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry André ! I meant poster!

I must be using ebay (and APUG classifieds) too much these days...