hasselblad 70mm

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by johnielvis, Jan 6, 2012.

1. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    you know...I've tried just about every hasselblad option there is...BUT the 70mm film back...I have an opportunity to get one and was wondering if anybody uses these things---what kind of film will it take? for instance, can I use 70mm movie film or 65mm movie film? I think 65mm is readily available...I see no problem with that working unless there's a special width that the film must be or if it must be perforated a certain way? anybody try different film and KNOW from experience what works or what is needed to be done to MAKE it work?

2. pgomena

pgomena Member

70mm film is no longer widely available or easily obtainable. That doesn't mean you can't find it. I'm not sure of all the specifics, but others will comment. 70mm was available when school picture outfits used long-roll cameras to photograph kids, but those days are over.

Peter Gomena

3. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    right, but I was thinking of the movie film that is readily available...I think it's 65mm though, but you can get long rolls of it---that 70mm stuff was perforated orginaally???? I don't know I'm thinking the 65mm shold work if there's no special perforations it "needs" for the mechanism to work properly.....

I'm sure someone that owns one of these knows what works...just now WHO owns one???

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As pgomena stated in post 2, it is hard to get the film and it must have the proper size and location sprocket holes. In short, an awful lot of work. I know; I wanted to buy and use one also. Processing long lengths can also be a problem.

You might want to by it as a collector's item or a paperweight.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2012
  5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... doorstop

6. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Right here!

Actually, I just got the film in a batch of stuff two days ago. I was considering getting a 70mm back...nah. I've got too much Hasselblad stuff already!

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This does not compute! Oxymoron! Contradiction in terms!

Please correct this statement immediately!

10. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know, it felt wrong even as I was typing it.

11. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    looked at the kodak site and I couldn't see where it said "70mm"....in any case--would THAT 70mm work in the hasselblad magazine? I see from the kodak site that the film does not look to be perforated---other people here implied that it must be specially perforated

you can get 70mm movie film that is perforated from kodak--this is what I would be buying and using IF it will work with the back

does anybody have the SPECIFICATION for the type of film that the hasselblad back takes perhaps??? Or maybe a SCANNED SAMPLE of the 70mm stuff---or a scanned old negative on this film stock--then I can compare that to the 70mm motion picture film that is available---if it's a match I'm a going to get me one

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    kool thanks

I looked at the hasselblad historical and didn't see it before....and that other site is useful too--thanks.
    hopefully I get the info I need -- and I LIKE what I hear...

15. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ok--just found out that the hassel mags can be modified with rubber wheels to run non-perforated or other film which has different perforatios than the "type 2" required...but that's a pain...will it work...what about messing up frame spacing...lots of issues guaranteed to burn months of good time and ruin many pics...

the motion picture film avaliable is print film--the camera films are all 65mm

BUT...maybe I can run 65mm through it????? hell--that would be easier to do with a paper 120 backing and tape it on....

oh well....more trouble than it's worth if there ain't no fresh film to be had......

16. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
  17. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks but....yes...that's the duplicating film though.....I'm looking for black and white reversal---the camera films for motion picture are 65mm....the release print and duplicating films are 70mm, but not what I'm after

it's way easier, if I were to buy the movie film, to wind my own 120 rolls with old paper backings or 220 rolls--and shoot in a regular magazine back---no sense in making things harder than they have to be, right?

18. iulian

iulian Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  19. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    well whaddya know....even says suitable for hasselblad 70mm......infrared eh.....hmmmmmmmmm now I'm thinking again....