Hasselblad Distagon CF 4/40 Filters

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by RalphLambrecht, Oct 21, 2009.

1. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought one of these beautiful lenses 2nd-hand, and it in fantastic shape. What leaves me wondering is how to attach a filter. I understand, it's a 93-series filter, but I don't have one yet. Once it get the filter, what do I need to do to put it in place?

2. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The front built-in thin lens shade unscrews and you screw the filter in its place. Must be the only non-bayonet filter in the Hasselblad lens system.

3. dentkimterry

dentkimterry Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The series 93 filter mounts inside the lens hood, not sure if you got one with your lens. The 93 series filters have no threads.

4. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you have more lenses you need filters for, it pays to get a ProShade 6093 + adapters, and use 100 mm square gelatin or resin filters in that thingy.

The 93 mm ProShade adapter screws into the lower half of the lens hood (obviously not the 4 petal thingy that is also on the lens, but the circular outer thing), so you need to have that thing with the lens then too.

These lens shades/series filter holders came with the lens, and since there is little other use for them, probably still will be.

5. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do I 'screw the filter in' (arigram) if the 'filters have no threads' (dentkimterry)?

6. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The filter has threads, atleast the Hasselblad Polariser I have does. It replaces the lens shade.

7. dentkimterry

dentkimterry Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You insert the filter in the hood, and then screw the hood in. He's a picture of one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/21355-REG/Hasselblad_30_40693_Lens_Hood_for_40mm.html

The 93 polarizer has 86mm threads which screw directly onto the lens. Regular 86mm filters don't fit because the four little petals on the front of the lens interfere.

8. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use a 93 mm polarizer which screws in the lower part of the shade cum filter holder.

As you will have gathered, the shade is a two part affair. You unscrew the front part, lay the threadless filter in the rear part, and replace the front part, which then acts as retaining ring.

That means you can't use more than 1 filter at any time. One other reason why using the ProShade 6093 is a good alternative. :wink:

9. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The thin profile B+W 86mm screw-in filters will work with this lens.

10. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got it now. Thank you all for the info. It was very useful.

This lens is likely to become my favorite. I did not expect the difference it makes, compared to the 50mm.

11. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the help. I got the filter today and all works well. However, it took me a while to figure out that the lens shade/adapter is a two-piece design. I spend an hour trying to fit the filter between the shade and the lens. Silly me!

12. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had my 40mm for 10 years and then got the 50mm because sometimes the 40mm is too wide. I always felt SLR viewing on the 40mm was a big advantage over the 38mm.
    Enjoy your lens (and post pictures :smile: ).

13. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    See post #2, the first reply, in this thread.
    Also #3, #7 and #8. :wink:

14. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I managed to misinterpret all of them, because none of them said: Disassemble the hood, fit the filter between the upper and the lower part of it, and screw everything back onto the lens.

Nevertheless, without your help, I would not have made it at all. So, thanks for that.

I must say, I am bit disappointed bei Wildi's Hasselblad Manual, and also the Hasselblad System Compendium. None of them had a description of it, and the lens came without instruction manual. I tried to find one on the web without avail. Does anyone have a copy?

15. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You're right about the books: there is very little in any of the editions pointing towards how filters are held in between the two halves of the shade of the 40 mm lens.

Once you have figured out how to use the shade as filter holder, there is very little left for a manual to reveal.
    There is a "CFi and CFE lenses" manual here, which at least has a drawing showing the hood opened to place a filter in between the halves.

It also explains how to use the FLE settings.
    It is more or less self-explanatory though. The only thing to remember is that the final step in setting both FLE and focussing ring is to refocus using the 'normal' focussing ring.

The controls of CFi and CFE lenses are not entirely the same as CF lenses (though very similar), so if you want to read about the CF lenses in particular, look in the 553 ELX or 503 CX manual.

16. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Q.G. That helps!