Hasselblad Extension Tubes

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BmurphyRZ67, Aug 4, 2010.

1. BmurphyRZ67

BmurphyRZ67 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all. I'm curious to know which Hasselblad extension tubes have what focus range. I'm interested in doing semi-closeup portraits, from about 1.5-2 feet away with the 80mm, so that the face and a small amount of the shoulders will take up the frame. If anyone has an easy to read table that will give me approximate focusing range and exposure compensation for each of the tubes, that would be spectacular. Also, what's the difference between the regular and "E" type tubes? I appreciate the help, I'm new to the Swede. Thanks!

2. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    You might find Hasselblad's Close Up Photography article useful. It provides several tables listing field width and exposure compensation values. When I did head and shoulder portraits in a style similar to the one you describe, I used a 10mm extension tube with an 80mm lens, which I found to be ideal.

Type E tubes are for use with FE series bodies and lenses which have electrical contacts on the lens and lens mount for communication.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Always remember:

1) Have the camera cocked.
    2) Remove the lens
    3) Mount the extension tube on the camera.
    4) Mount the lens on the camera.
    5) Take the photograph.
    6) Cock the lens.
    7) Remove the lens.
    8) Remove the extension tube.
    9) Replace the lens.

I have tired the various tables and charts. What I do is guess at a tube length and try it. If that one is not right, I try the next tube. I usually find one tube or a combination of tubes that work.

Steve

4. Marek Warunkiewicz

Marek Warunkiewicz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2010
  5. Sim2

Sim2 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi there,
    The FE extension tubes enable aperture transmission for in-camera metering on the 205/203 etc focal plane bodies and (I believe) are the only ones to be used with non-metering focal plane bodies such as the 2000/2003 due to the shutter ring protruding along the lens axis. I do not think that the "normal" tubes can be used with any focal plane bodies. At least that is my understanding having shopped for a set that is used on my 2000FC.

I *think* but not certain that the FE tubes can be used on C bodies without any harm - but no warranty provided with that statement!

The Hasselblad close shooting PDF is really useful with a table of shooting distance range, area covered and basic exposure compensation. I intend to reformat it and laminate to pop into my bag as the A4 prinout gets a bit crumpled through usage!

Sim2.

6. fdisilvestro

fdisilvestro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a note about the 10 mm extension tube. It will not mount on newer bodies (i.e. 503 series) because it interferes with the ring around the shutter release.

7. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They can.
    All post-1956 tubes can be used on all post-1956 Hasselblad V-Series reflex cameras.
    Even the shorter ones (8 and 10 mm), as long as they are combined with a longer tube and not mounted directly on the camera, but on that other tube.
    The non-E tubes will work on 202/203/205 cameras, but you will need to use stop-down metering (how that works is described in the user manual).
    E-tubes can be used without restrictions on any post-1956 Hasselblad reflex camera. The extra Databus contacts are not in the way when used on a camera that wouldn't know what to do with them.

8. Sim2

Sim2 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Glad you popped in on this thread - you were very helpful when I was contemplating the 'blad. Like to hand on what I have found out, but rather wary as not an expert by any means.

Good call on mounting any tube onto an E compatible tube with F cameras - hadn't thought of that, nice one!

Sim2.

9. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Reviving an old thread. In the hyperlinks above in this thread I find that for the 16E and 32E extension tubes should give about 1/2 stop and 1 stop compensation in exposure, respectively.

From using those two tubes that correlates roughly with my practical experience as well. I have the 56E tube as well, but am yet to use it, and it appears that requires about 1-1/2 stop compensation.

Does that jive with other people's experiences?

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Instead of using compensation charts I use a 45° PME.

11. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can't afford one. That's about two years' photography budget for me to purchase a metering prism for a Hasselblad.