Hasselblad Film Back - 1997 Series... Possibly a real silly Question...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Ira Rush, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello,

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a used Hasselblad Film Back A24. While I realize that 220 B&W film is limited to Tri-X 320, the asking price was very good!

I held off buying it for the following reason, and for lack of a better description, ... it looked like a fake knock off!

Serial number was EU####... which would put it as a 1997 model. It was black, with the dark slide holder built in. The thing that really got me however was that the magazine slide lock, was all black plastic , not the usual chrome or metal that I had expected. (All my backs are older, chrome and the slide lock key is metal chrome).

Another thing, on all my older magazines, once the insert is removed, where the knurled knob on the insert would mesh with the magazine shell itself, there is a Hasselblad label with all sorts of copyright stuff proudly proclaiming "made in Sweden...", on this one.... not there! . The one saving grace is that the back and insert do match!

This is not from "FleaBay", or from the back of a truck, the dealer has always stood by his stuff, but I still had a doubt.

So, am I being paranoid ... are there indeed "Hasselblad Fake Knock offs" out there, or did the quality of manufacturing go down .

If anyone out there has a Black (A12, A16, A24, does not really matter) back from around 1997 and it looks like this please post, let me know.

Thanks in advance

2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have one made in 1998, an A12 black, and the sliding round button on top that releases the magazine is still chrome, with a black leather dot on top of it. Maybe yours had been repaired and the repairman used a newer part? I don't think mine has the label inside. I should look and see. I remember an older one I had did but this newer one from 98 doesn't I think.

3. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Should have a metal button with a black dot on top of it, the "A24--6x6" should be also on top of the magazine, as for the text "Made in Sweden by Victor Hasselblad", it has been removed for that series.

It should be looking like this one

[​IMG]
    Image from Leica Shop

You said it was a very good price? Maybe you got a discount for the plastic release button.:smile:

Cheers

André

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2008
  4. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Chris & Andre,

Thanks for the quick response, ... now I do not have it in front of me, but I am 99.999% positive it did have the chrome Black dot release tab on the top, and it said "A24 6x6"... but that is not what I am talking about.

I am talking about the all plastic insert roll holder release key, on the side, the one that changes from white to red, as the film advances, the one that you have to turn to get the insert out and turn it again once the insert is in the shell, to open the film quide and return it to the shell, that is all black plastic not metal (chrome). Yes I realize that if the back is black, the key should be black, but at least black painted chrome, not plastic. Another thing, it seemed to be lighter in weight as if the whole thing was plastic.

Sounds crazy, but I am wondering if the old expression holds true... "they don't make things like they used to"

Thanks, any one else?

Andre, thanks for the picture, see the key on the side, this one in the picture you included, this one is chrome, the one I am talking about is all PLASTIC

The insert roll holder release key, that's what I am talking about! It appeared to be all plastic, not metal!

Attached Files:

5. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok Ira, sorry for the misunderstanding, now, that's very weird, never seen or heard it before, sorry can't help at all, maybe some more Hasselblad users drop by and have something more helpful to say, I don't.:sad:

Cheers

André

6. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a bunch of A12 mags dating from the 50's through the 00's and they're all solid with metal insert lock keys. I've never seen or heard of a mag with a plastic key. Then again I've never heard of a counterfeit A24. Does it smell bad? Maybe it's a Kiev? :smile:

7. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nyet....

Nope, smells like Ludenberries or rather more like Swedish meatballs:D

Think I also vaguely remember that the film box tab holder on the back of the dark slide holder did have the Hassy ~ Sweden imprint.

8. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My black A12 has a chrome release key too. I have never seen one with a black key.

9. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Still hard to believe someone would be making fakes?

By the age of my hassy stuff its hard to believe they made anything after about 1982 :smile:

Mike

10. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Black insert keys are quite o.k. Even the later chrome trim magazines have black insert keys.

But lightweight, cheap plastic?

11. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello all,

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Had a chance to go back to that dealer, asked to see that back again, here is a shot made with my camera phone, pretended I had an incoming call! :wink:

Crappy pix, I know, I know, but I don't own a digital camera, never will, and it would arouse suspicion on the part of that dealer if I took a picture of the back! This is to show that as odd as it sounds about this black plastic key, this one does exist!

Also, lacking a "invisible scale",using my own judgement it appeared as heavy as my older A24 back, so maybe it wasn't an all plastic back. Sure as hell looked that way.

So again thanks to all, but again if anyone has one like this, please post, let me know!

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

12. Frank Szabo

Frank Szabo Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I had bought two, some years back, made (or at least named) by Hartblei. Even they had the metal and chromed release and also has the built-in slide holder a few years before it showed up on the real Hassy stuff. Wouldn't work with my ELM I had at the time - only the 500 CM. The little pin in the EL wouldn't stick out far enough to disengage the back's lock (as it's supposed to do upon firing).

Other than that, good backs.

13. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A black key like that is not odd. I keep telling you! :wink:
    Standard issue for some time now. Even on chrome trim magazines.
    And as far as i know, it's not plastic.

14. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Boy do I feel a little stupid... But I figured it out!

Boy do I feel a little stupid... :sad: But I figured it out!:smile:

Q.G. once again thank you for the information you provide, you continue to be the voice of reason! I really appreciate that very much.

Thanks also to all who responded.

OK....It seems that the E mags designed for the 203 and 205 series cameras look, and feel exactly like this one, except of course for the contacts on the back, the film speed dial and the contrast dial. The one I am thinking of getting is not an E , but I guess Hassy as been stream lining costs since EU, I mean 1997 , as we all should be doing.
    Makes sense to make E mags and A mags with the same material and look and feel to cut costs.

Guess I can call off the Knock Off Police :D

Once again, thanks to all