Hasselblad filter confusion... Please clarify for me, fellow APUG'ers...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ChrisJarisch, Oct 10, 2010.

1. ChrisJarisch

ChrisJarisch Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've searched and searched, and I've found SOME answers, but nothing that specifically explains what I'm confused about...

So... I have a Hass. 500C... I mainly shoot b$w... But, I'm a little confused about my filters, or, more specifically, what they can/cannot be used for, as far as film goes...

Can my colored filters, for b&w, be used with my Polaroid back, with b&w Polaroid film????

And...

Can I use my Haze filter on ALL film, regardless of whether it's b&w, color, polaroid, or some combination thereof...????

Thanks in advance for the help...

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

For black & white you can use Haze, Red, Orange, Yellow, Yellow-Orange, Green, Yellow-Green, ND and Polarizor filters. I am sure there are more.

Steve

3. andrewkirkby

andrewkirkby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can use whatever filters you like.

Instant B&W film behaves in pretty much the same way as normal B&W film. You use filters to change contrast (i.e. a yellow filter for daylight shooting)

You can use a haze filter at anytime. No problem.

4. ChrisJarisch

ChrisJarisch Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the prompt response... I understand what the filters are for, pretty much. I was just curious if Polaroid b&w film behaved the same way as regular, plain old 120 film.. as far as using red/orange/green/whatever... filters were concerned. I've been scouring the interweb, and it's seems like the more I read, in depth, the more confused I get...

And, I was sort of curious if the Haze filter would work on b&w film... because I know that my red/orange/green/whatever... filters will NOT...

Anyways, thanks again !! :smile:

5. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Err, not sure if you understand, but your red/orange/green etc filters WILL work with B&W film.

Also, you will need to increase your exposure according to the filter factor which is usually indicated on the filter. 1X = 1 stop, 4X = 2 stops, 8X = 3 stops, etc.

6. ChrisJarisch

ChrisJarisch Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Err... sorry... I meant to say COLOR as oppossed to black and white.... Sorry :sad:

7. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course you can use them on colour film, just look thru the viewfinder to see the effect. It is quite different than what happens to b&w film. :smile: I've done it accidentally, sort of forgot which body had what film in it. :sad: Hmmmm, maybe I still have those negs and should try to print one on black and white paper.

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A haze filter will cut some of the UV light and thus reduce the haze in black & white and color. Some are tinted and they will warm the both black & white and color.

Steve