Hasselblad: How does it work?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Element 6, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Element 6

Element 6 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was wondering how the Hasselblad SLR works... I know my 35mm SLR has a lens, mirror, shutter, and film (in that order). The lens is unobstructed to peek through while composing a photo. A Hasselblad, with its "in the lens" leaf shutter, would get in the way of this wouldn't it? I am not sure how the shutter must be open (to compose per an SLR), then shut, flip up the mirror, fire the shutter,and let the mirror drop down again. All this with the assumption the mirror is light-tight to prevent film exposure. Is there some really simple explination I do not realize?

I don't own a hassy, just REALLY curious!

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When the lens is cocked, it is open and you are able to look through it. When you fire it, the lens is closed and then you wind it, to open it back up.

And yes, the mirror inside the body is light tight.

3. Mark Feldstein

Mark Feldstein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, actually E-6, David is close. The mirror isn't light tight but it sits perched in front of a rear shutter curtain that opens and closes when you press the camera release. So, when you hit the shutter release, the lens stops down, the mirror goes up, the rear curtain opens and then the shutter in the lens opens and closes and the rear curtain closes as well. Winding the camera sends the mirror back to it's pre-release position, recocks the shutter in the lens and... voi la !!!.

Now, can David and I go shopping with you to show you which models to take for a test drive??? <G>
    Take it light.

4. clogz

clogz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Element 6

Element 6 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks guys.. these things are quite amazing with all the stuff they do to give us a picture...

6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    E-6, I think that same thing often when I release the shutter on my Hassie. The shutter closes, the lens stops down, the rear curtains open, the shutter opens and exposes the film, and the shutter closes again, all in less time than it takes me to blink. And all of this with a bunch of gears and springs, and not a chip in sight! Amazing!

7. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ...by magic and acts of god...

8. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    E6, if you're in the Twin Cities, go over to West Photo up in Nordeast (University and Hennepin, give or take a block) and ask Kyle to give you a test drive.

If you get bit by the bug, you can rent one for a day or two and get REALLY hooked. :D

9. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unless you want to try an RB, bit of a tank, but the negative size enlarges better into 8x10/16x20.

erie

10. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

When I worked in a studio where I had to shoot Hasselblad, I always used the ELMs because I found the black out after the exposure so annoying.

11. Mark Feldstein

Mark Feldstein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No chips? AND no pixels. Must be some kind of witchcraft or sorcery. Yikes. I'm gettin' kinda scared. /:>0