Hasselblad Infinity Desparity Question.

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by henry finley, Dec 26, 2012.

1. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would thing the smartest way is just to detail my question, then follow with my qualification level afterward. I hope some Hasselblad-qualified people dive in, just for my edification, as I have no intention to take their knowledge and then compete with them by hanging a camera-repair shingle.
    So on with the question: why is there seemingly no point of perfect infinity when I switch lenses across the old 500CM's and ELM-era cameras? I've worked on maybe 20-30 different Hasselblad items. Heck, maybe 50 times by now... I clean and re-lube the lenses or foam the bodies--stuff like that. And you know something truthful?--there's never any meaningful infinity adjustment. Take the 80mm off one and put it on another, and it's never dead-on. Sometimes a downright disappointment. Or maybe I'm just too sensitive. Now that my question is stated, please give due credit to my 45 years of working on cameras as an extremely advanced hobbiest. I know that the Hasselblad repair people have gazillions of dollars of equipment and tolerances to the electron. I know full well what I have no business taking apart or fouling up, without the right test fixtures. Thank you.

2. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    May I add to my line of questioning about these Hasselblads by speaking out with my honest opinion about them? There WEREN'T made by God, or anywhere close, as popular legend would have one believe. I've worked on countless cameras in my day and do impecabbly perfectionist work. I refuse to bear the shame of being a knucklehead-boob on my projects. These Hasselblads just aren't the cats pajamas compared to everything else. I don't think anything in this life or on this earth are THAT flawless.They ARE remarkable, and I do respect their reputation and their instruments, but they DO go off like a bomb in your hand, the DO blur pictures because of it, their infinity leaves a lot to be desired, and the are extremely simplistic in the mechanism. Ingeniously simplistic actually. But what's with this lousy infinity story? Thank you.

3. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You may wish to re-post this (of have the moderators move it) to the MF equipment thread. This spot is for feedback on issues directly concerning the forum.

For the record, I have never used a Hassey and if I am using a camera that has distance markings on it, I still focus thru the view finder (I use a Rolleiflex and also view cameras.)

4. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you. I had the dickens of a time figuring out how to open a new thread in the first place. I'm afraid I'd never figure out how to put it where it's supposed to be.

5. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    No prob -- I will see if I can find a moderator to move it for you.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have never collimated a lens for infinity focus? I use the Rollei version of the Zeiss lenses but the Hasselblad barrel seems pretty easy to set based on the instructions below. Some of the Rollei mount Zeiss lenses I have require extensive disassembly to get to the screws for the infinity stop:

[​IMG]

7. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format