Hasselblad Lens issue

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jglass, Jan 17, 2011.

1. jglass

jglass Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just received an 80mm CF lens and it shows tiny, pin prick size white spots, evenly distributed on what I believe is an inside element. This is only visible against a dark background with a bright light shining through the lens, catching these dots at an angle so they become visible. Looking straight through the lens, they're not visible.

Is this fungus? Is it haze? It doesn't seem to be dust because it is so evenly distributed and so tiny.

I feel pretty sure this won't affect images, but I believe it will affect resale and I can return it for a refund, no problem, right now. I would prefer cleaner glass, but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with here to talk to the dealer about a return.

Any opinions on what this is? Any opinions on the effect on images?

2. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Could be fungus. Though being evenly distributed would suggest it's probably not.
    Haze is the result of a deposit of some sort of stuff, which (a layer of something) it could be. Or indeed just light bouncing off something, but then it would not appear as tiny white spots.
    It could even be tiny air bubble in the glass.
    Impossible to tell without seeing it.

If it doesn't affect the image... Are you getting this lens to use, or sell on?

But if you're not happy with it you should of course return it, and find a cleaner one.

3. Ian David

Ian David Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had an unusual deposit on one of the inside elements of a Hasselblad 50 lens. It wasn't fungus or haze; more like hundreds of really tiny little droplets of oil spread evenly all over the surface of the element. I got it cleaned by Hasselblad in the UK when I was there for a visit. They were not able to tell me what the spots were. The lens had never been opened before, so it was quite a mystery...

Ian

4. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Regardless of whether you want to use or sell the lens, if it is fungus I'd send it back. I don't really bother with dents, dings, scratches, dust or whateve but fungus I avoid like the plague. It will grow and it will become an issue and it will cost money to fix but the most important thing is that it may spread to everything else in my camera bag. And that is a risk I am not willing to take.

My opinion.

5. nick mulder

nick mulder Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ditto with a 75mm macro switar !

I thought maybe oil after a shock/drop ? It really was a mystery also - cleaned up perfectly though :smile:

6. jglass

jglass Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies. I can't seem to get a decent photo of it; it's hard to see, but once you see it, wow, it looks bad, very heavily distributed fine specks across an inside element, I guess.

I will likely keep the lens forever, but I don't think I got what I paid for. I don't think it's an "excellent" condition lens at this point.

The risk of fungus and the cost of cleaning make me want to return it.

7. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How often are you planning on doing this whilst photographing? If not, then the tiny, near-invisible spots are likely to be of no consequence.

8. jglass

jglass Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BrianShaw:
    You may have missed the point: 1) this could be fungus which will grow and take over the lens; 2) I paid for an "excellent" lens but did not get one. I'm trying to get my monies' worth and avoid future issues.

9. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes. If you have any doubts about the lens, just bring it back. No need to keep worrying about it, even if that worry is just a slight niggle in the back of your mind.

You could ask the seller to pay for a CLA, agree to keep it if he does. Perhaps share the cost. That way you don't have to risk getting another used one with possible issues you have to worry about.

10. jglass

jglass Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Q.G. that's a good point about getting it cleaned.

11. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I got your point. To be blunt, I think you may be worrying the problem too much. But more than that I agree with others who have said that if this is a concern to you then you should return it and get another lens that meets your requirements. It sounds to me like your best option might be return rather tahn haggling a cleaning. What if the cleaning still doesn't bring it to the condition you expect?

12. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Then return it.

13. TimmyMac

TimmyMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have this on a couple of my lenses. Never bothered me any,and it's never progressed, so I ignore it.

14. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Then you refuse it. But yes, you must make sure that a good condition is conditional for the deal.

I have 'negotiated' such deals with my local shop a couple of times. Told the owner that i would buy the lenses (it happened to be lenses) he had on his shelf, if he made sure they were in a good, usable condition.
    It did happen with one lens that it turned out that the CLA-job had still left the diaphragm a bit sticky. So it went back to be CLA-ed again and only when it was good i bought it.

May sound a bit hard on the seller. But then, he can't sell defective goods anyway.
    He didn't like it that the CLA-job he paid for had to be done again (and he readily agreed that it was not done well), but i'm sure he sorted that out with whoever did it for him.

The thing also to consider is that when you pass on an otherwise good lens, you begin the gambling game again, looking for one that perhaps has bigger problems, and needs to be CLA-ed to be usable too.
    Have one, whose faults you know, properly seen to, and you'll know you have a good one.

15. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I understand your story, but forgive me, but I wouldn't consider either your stoy or the OPs situation to be in the category of "defective goods" at all. It is used merchandise. If a buyer doesn't like the condition they should move on to another option. As the seller, I would have asked you to move on and find something more to your liking... or I would have raised the price to a "mint" price. :smile:

In fact, I'm not even sure I would consider the OPs situation to be out of scope for EX description. If it were "mint" or "NIB" then I'd say there mgiht be a misrepresentation issue... maybe.

Given the number of used Hasselblad lenses on the market, I hardly think there is a large risk or gamble... but I understand your point.

Peace out. Good luck to the OP in whatever you choose to do!

16. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes. Another option, like asking him if he would agree to have the lens cleaned.
    :smile:

If he says no, you move on.
    If he says yes, you win.
    But if you don't ask, you don't get anything.
    :wink:

17. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes dear.