Hasselblad or Bronica

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by TareqPhoto, Feb 21, 2012.

1. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

Long time i didn't post here.

Well, i have my Hasselblad for over 1 year, almost 2 years, i mean my film one, but the only regret i have with this camera is the focusing.

I am not sure if Bronica focusing is better than Hasselblad 500 series, i have Mamiya RZ and its focusing is superior to Hasselblad, not even close, so how can i fix this problem with Hasselblad though i have 2 focusing screens [Acute/Acute-D] and both didn't cut it for me, i want a 6x6 format camera, and as much i love the Hassy handle and gear, but the focus making me to go with Mamiya or even Fuji RF over it, what to do, i don't mind to get Brony if it is better.

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a 6x6 back for the rz. It is rather rare now, but if you watch for a few weeks you'll find one. I got one recently.

3. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's quite likely that something is internally slightly out of alignment in your Hasselblad. It is probably worthwhile having it serviced.

4. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah cool, this is an option, i will give that a look, but the weight of RZ is no match to Hasselblad. :sad:

5. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What exactly that part is? I found one store/shop by coincidence, i may try them even i don't trust them, we have a digital Hasselblad dealer, not sure if they are servicing film Hassy, will give them a try as well.

6. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    tag for info.

7. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I don't know which part or parts affect the focus, but I had mine serviced a few years ago and the technician mentioned that he had made some adjustments which would correct the focus.

8. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And what was the issue that time you sent it for service?
    the focus issue?

9. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, the focus was not the issue. It was a problem with the winding mechanism. It's quite likely the camera had never been serviced before and it's a 1977 model.

10. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got one a while ago on ebay for $121,I've seen 'em go for up to $400.Patience is the key,they're quite scarce,but wonderful to have.

11. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah i see, well, i will check out the service if that may help.

So how can i tell which model year is my camera?

12. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still prefer to handle Hasselblad over Mamiya RZ, but no problem, if i can get one i may go for it.

13. artonpaper

artonpaper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had both. Zeiss lenses are the reason to use a Hasselblad. It's not just about sharp, it's also about transmission. But I like the little ETR. I haven't used the others.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I too suspect the Hassey may have an alignment issue. Could be 1 of several issues. I'd suggest taking it to a good repair shop and having it checked out. While I've never owned a Hassey I've used a couple of the 5xx series and the focus with the standard fucus screen was excellent. I've owned and used Bronicas as main camera and love them but hae to admit with the standard focusing screen the Hassey is the better of the 2. If you had neither, I vote for you getting the Bronica but as you have the Hassey, I vote for having it looked at and fixed. Both are excellent cameras but the Hassey is just a bit better.

16. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No doubt that those hassy Zeiss lenses are sharp and nice, but i am talking about focusing the subject/view i see on the WLV, it doesn't impressing me at all as that of RZ, the RZ is like 3D TV, Hassy was like 480p or very hardly 720p.

17. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Hasselblad [501CM], and thanks that you told me it is a tad better over the Bronica, i will give it a more test and take it to service if that may help in something, but i was hoping some who own this Hasselblad may faced this issue and did find the solution.

18. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  19. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have this very same camera and I'm sorry you are having the trouble you are having. When I first got the camera I just had the standard waist level finder which
    I found to be pretty good. I wear glasses and found that it was a lot better when I added a corrective diopter.

Later I found a PME5 finder and installed the appropriate diopter. This is a perfect set up for me. I find it better than the finders on my Nikon F3hp and F4!

You might check it out.

20. mathomas

mathomas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Write on a piece of paper:
    VHPICTURES

Then write under it:

with the numbers directly under the letters. Find the two-letter code on your body it's on the back panel and map the letters to the numbers.

Example: UE = 79 (1979)

(Same with the back.)

21. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cool, i will check out what model is my camera body, i bought the film back brand new.

Well, i am looking for that PME VF, but i thought that the focusing screen will remain the same and only finder will be different, or does that PME coming with its own focusing screen?

I heard about some brands such as Brightscreen and Beattie, are those any better? Those are expensive, so before i get any if they are really better, i have to see if i have an issue with my camera or focussing screen.

Just to make it clear for you, i can focus with my hasselblad and have the shots in focus, but this take time for me and i still not sure if it is in focus spot on or not, with RZ i just focus and it is dead on always and even i can tell where i want to focus, but with hasselblad i just not sure if the eyes are in focus or the nose or the hair or the lips or the ears, and if it is more 3D-ish items still life then i will have hard time to tell which part is in focus, if i get what i want in focus then i am lucky, but with RZ there is no trial error of what i do, i can focus on any part i want with easy and sure it is in focus except if i move or the subject moves.

22. pekelnik

pekelnik Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Are you using a split circle focusing screen? That can be quite helpful.

23. film_man

film_man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 501CM with the new Acutewhatever (plain one). I also had a Bronica SQB (with the split prism screen). I owned them side by side for a while. If I was to pick one thing being the biggest difference between the two was how much dimmer the Bronica screen was. The split screen did make focusing quicker when it worked but it was also crap and darkened unless you were looking at it at the exact correct angle it was supposed to work so it wasn't really quicker, so overall I find the 501 a much better experience (focusing and everything else).

I use both a WLF and PM90 on my 501, with the prism whenever I miss focus is because I wasn't careful. I played with a RZ for a few minutes so I really cannot say whether focusing is easier or not. Have you consider a split screen for the Hasselblad? It should make it much quicker to get focus right.

24. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From what you say, it sounds like you need an Accumatte or a brighter screen.

I used to have a Bronica SQ-Ai and really liked it, but the deal on a Hasselblad was too good to pass up. I also got a 45-degree finder which I prefer anyway, and that helped matters, too.

25. rolleiman

rolleiman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I believe that Hasselblad lenses have their own leaf shutters built into them. I've read in the past that unless these are used on a regular basis, either these or the lens diaphragm can go "sticky" (I'm not sure which) I'm not a Hasselblad user, but it seems they don't like being left idle for long periods.

Perhaps users who may have experienced this could comment?

26. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will test my Hasselblad again, i may photograph the focusing screens i have but i hope i can do that in good way without reflection of light or over exposed the glass, i don't know if i have the Acute-D or Acute Matte, one screen came along with the body when i bought it and the other i bought it later to see if it will do better, not sure which is doing better now but both aren't quick or say reliable for me as my Mamiya RZ F.screen one.