Hasselblad or Mam645? My wife is too generous !

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Glenn Mathison, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm lucky to have a wife who supports my photography hobby but she has now caused me some level of anguish.

Why?

I already own two Mam 645 bodies and 3 lenses. She knew this.

It was my birthday two weeks back so what did she buy me? A 3 yr old Hasselbdlad 503 CW with 80 mm lens and two A12 backs in excellent condition.

Arrghh!!

I never thought I'd buy a blad as I could never justify the cost and I was happy with my Mams. I can't afford to keep both systems.

Q1. Anyone used/owned both and want to venture opinions on the better system in the long run for a hobbyist?

Q2. Any thoughts on what I should do? Humour is OK. And no, you can't borrow my wife for you next birthday :smile:

Glenn

2. VoidoidRamone

VoidoidRamone Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What do you like to shoot more? rectangle or square? The 503 is a nice camera, but the Mamiya has 2 bodies and 3 lenses... I am personally a Mamiya shooter (RB though) but the main reason for that is because I'm not big on squares. I think it depends on what format you like shooting more.
    -Grant

3. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wrong forum - sorry...

I realise it should be in Medium format camera forum but can't figure out how to move to that forum area ...

4. Glenn Mathison

Glenn Mathison Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Grant, I also have an old Mamiya TLR for 6x6 and I have been very happy with the results I have from it so I think I can easily work with the square format.

5. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't owned both, but I do own a Hassey 503CW - for about 3 years too. I LOVE IT! And, I chose it over all the other MF systems, as a hobbyist, for several reasons:
    1. it's a Hasselblad (brand recognition),
    2. it's well well made and rugged - I have traveled with it now on just about every business trip I go on - that's about once per week for the past two years!
    3. Zeiss glass - nuff said,
    4. it's more or less ubiquitous and therefore I suspect 'easier' to get repairs and spare parts (but I assume a breakdown will 'never' happen - wishful thinking),
    5. I think Hassey will be around longer than the other MF companies,
    6. it's a Hasselblad (did I mention this before?),
    7. more second hand equipment (which is a moot point for me since I have so far bought everything new),
    8. it's more aesthetic and it came in a yellow colour (laugh at me people, I don't care!) - it just looks sexier than the other MF brands ,
    9. it's ergonomic - accessories like the PME 45 Finder, CW Winder and Flash Grip (of which I have all of them) are very well designed,
    10. future archeologist will dig this thing up long after the sun supernovas and still be able to use it - assuming they can get 120 film!
    11. it's a square format which one can always crop to 645 or get a 645 back - more versatile,
    12. at the time I was deciding it was on special - buy a kit, get a winder for free, buy new glass and get a discount which I used to buy the PME 45
    13. and finally it's a Hasselblad (what can I say, I'm vain that way - it's the Ferrari sports car of the photography equipment world to me).
    Plus I've always wanted one since I was a kid.

Sell all your Mamyia equipment to get more Hassey glass and accessories. Seriously - no humour there. You won't ever regret this.

The relationship advice world could do with less Dr Phil and more of your wife, IMNSHO! :D

Regards, Art.

6. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well I own a 503cw as well and will never sell it. I've had it for about 5 years and absolutely love it. Never had a problem.

I would keep the Hasselblad for the following reasons:
    -Hasselblads future is more secure than Mamiyas
    -the lenses are as good as they get
    -you can buy a 645 back
    -there are tons of hasselblad items for sale on the internet and ebay
    -hasselblads kick ass :smile:

7. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First of all take your wife out to her favourite restaurant while you decide what to do.

I'm a Hasselblad user so dont flame me but unless the square format appeals to you, sell the 503cw as you're quite established with your Mamiya in MF

Trade for some panoramic camera or LF

8. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I own both, and both are for sale, although not because of the cameras per se' but due to replications in other brands. Long story short, you have to find out for yourself by using both and determining over time which you prefer to pickup; That is if you really must sell one. I love the square, but I have other mistresses. 4x5, 6x7, 35mm all play into my interest at any particular time. If I were to judge between the two based on my ability to expand the system within my budget, then more then likely the Mamiya would be the candidate I would keep. A ruled screen for my 501cm will cost me more then what I spent on my 55mm Mamiya lens. So determining points have their influences and can be of any particular quality/attribute.

The thing about camera systems is that if you work enough with various ones you come to realization of their individual strengths and weaknesses. Take the Hasselblad out for some runs and if you find yourself thinking more of the Mamiya marry her instead; If you must. But variety can be the spice of life; Or it's misfortune; to your bank account

9. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you received the Hasselblad as a gift, theoretically it cost you nothing; therefore, you can afford to keep both systems.

10. raucousimages

raucousimages Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had a 645 1000S and still have a C330 and an RZ67. Like them all but I LOVE my Hassy. I shoot square and the Hassy just feels good in my hand. The Mamiya's always feel like a brick.

11. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sell one of the MAM`s, stay with the other and the Blad, simple :smile:!

Cheers

André

12. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The main reason I use the M645 rather than getting into the 6x6 realm is lens cost. I was able to get 4 nearly new lenses for my M645 system for less than the cost of one non-80mm lens for a Hasselblad. I would NEVER be able to afford the same lenses for a Hasselblad that I now own for the M645 system. I have nothing against that brand, but for me, the choice was based on how much I could afford to spend on the lenses I wanted.

I would take Andre's advice and keep one of the 645s as well as the Hasselblad - that way you can still use your existing lenses while you acquire what you want to fit the new camera, and at some point in the future if you decide you like one more than the other, then you can decide if you still want to sell one.

- Randy

13. Nancy

Nancy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sell the mamiya's, buy another hassy lens and then pick up a 6x9 folder!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Capocheny

Capocheny Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Keep the Blad... IMHO, it's a great format!

But, YMMV! :smile:

Cheers

16. Dan Fullerton

Dan Fullerton Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also have both systems, less equipment with the Hasselblad due to the much higher cost. If you have a budget that allows purchasing wanted/needed equipment at any time, you will always get what you pay for with more expensive equipment. If you find yourself shooting less and worrying about needed equipment more, go with Mamiya. Both will serve you well, I have had very few problems with either system. The main objective is to keep shooting, the old advice is; "f8 and be there" for successful photographs. By the way, how do you and your wife feel about adoption?

17. sanderx1

sanderx1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not sure I understand. keeping a system doesn't cost anything so where is the problem?

18. BOSS565

BOSS565 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    First, if you haven't bought you wife roses yet, you should be ashamed of yourself!!

I have a 500CM and love it. One day I will buy a 503. All my lens I have bought used (ebay, Keh, etc). So the Hassey system isn't unaffordable. As said before, there is lots and lots of items out there. I vote for the Hassey. There are also lots of threads on Hassey here.

Good luck.

19. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with others if you already got one mamiya 645, sell one of them to afford either accessories for the hassy ( such as a prism if you dont already have one ) , etc, look on keh.com in terms of buying.

Never sell the gift of the wife, that will only cause you more anguish.

20. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He would probally buy accessories and such for all three down the road is what I think he's saying, investing in the collection, but yes it doesnt cost anything to 'keep'

21. dphphoto

dphphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had Hassy. Mamiya 645 Pro with motor drive is THE way to go. Cheap as dirt nowadays, and just plain good. Easy to handle, more than decent meters and great lenses.
    But, as mentioned above, why not keep both? That way, you'll know which you really like better.
    Are you into large format yet? If not, just wait. Dean

22. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hassy,Hassy...

23. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

First off, I agree... the second system doesn't cost you anything. The 503 will give you years of pleasure and you don't need to add to it if you never want to. But... if you sell the flexibility of already having three lens and a system with the 645, you'll regret not being able to use just the correct lens for landscape, portraiture or whatnot.

So, if you can sell the Mamiyas and get enough to buy 2 more pieces of Zeiss ware, then do that. If you can't, see where the duplication occurs, if anywhere, sell one lens of the Mamiya and one body. Do NOT sell the 503, for many reasons including the disappointment it would cause a significant other in your life. She bent over backwords to please you.

Me, I would keep it all and use it all. Set up a specific project that allows you to explore the capabilities of the 503 and square shooting, and run with it. Use the Mamiyas just as you always have. It's a win win situation.

Now Caroline, where is that 500CM I know you bought me?

tim in san jose

24. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does she have a sister?

25. JosBurke

JosBurke Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Decisions, Decisions!!!!

I think I would go for the Hasselblad too!! I have a 501CM and a 503CX and they're terrific and I've bought most of my glass used at very decent prices less my 150 CFi that I bought new before the big dump of MF gear !! I always thought that the Zeiss glass was unbeatable -- until I made the mistake of trying a Mamiya 7 (II) with 80 mm and for handheld use the Mamiya wins hands down but for studio use (esp. longer lenses and on a tripod ) or the vast array of lenses then the Hassy wins so I'll keep both---for my kid's playing in the yard or a vacation trip the Mamiya 7 II is my first choice but again the lens line up stops at 80 mm for me---I love the square and generally print a square neg into a square print but for handheld use that 6x7 really impresses me and the Mamiya glass I think is sharper than the Hassy lenses---Sorry--I'm rambling but my Mamiya is no dog and I do prefer a wide angle in 6x7 format but that is all subjective isn't it!! Ahh!! Decisions!! I suggest you think twice before unloading a gift from your wife and go for the Hasselblad as the keeper but as someone else mentioned it's a gift so whats the problem --if it were my wife she'd pick it out and I would still foot the bill!! Now what would you do if she got you a D200 or a 5D ? Film or digital???? That would be a dilemma indeed since she got the digital for you!!

26. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sell it on ebay. buy a hassy