hasselblad owners

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by david b, Oct 20, 2004.

1. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Unfortunatelle, (or perhaps fortunatelly from a collectors point of view) it seems Hasselblad is doing away with the V system and concenrating on the H system and digital. Shame, first they go to Japan, and now the system that made them famous is apparently being phased out... :-( If you can read swedish, you might want to check this one out...:

http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=113&a=185270

3. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Even more reason to buy this shirt.

Has anyone called Hasselblad USA to confirm the death of the V ?

4. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    great, i need some clothes that dont smell of fixer !

the death of the v is like the ilford story etc etc, the real truth is clouded in hysteria. Aparently that swedish article doesnt indicate anything about the alledged death of the v at all.

5. c6h6o3

c6h6o3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  6. Melisa Taylor

Melisa Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i will truly know i am addicted when i start wearing my cameras on my t-shirts. LOL

7. Todd J. Bertolini

Todd J. Bertolini Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I agree the alleged death of the V cameras is nonsense. Yes, the H1 is getting alot of hype,but the 501C/M and 503C/X are still their biggest sellers. Why you would actually buy new is a different story-it is still the benchmark for medium format. If they stopped making the cameras today their is still plenty in the market place. PS try to buy one of the "colored" models in the northeast-they are actually backordered. I live 10 minutes from Hasselblad USA and frequently visit and believe me the staff will tell you the V is the companies bread and butter.

8. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What the guy charge for shipping to the US?

Fintan? Clothes smell like fixer? I thought everyone works in the darkroom in the "buff" like I do?

The lens kinda does look like a 50C. Old style crank too. Guess I can take a digipix of mine and work it in Gimp and send it to cafepress.com

9. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I can see Jim Galli now, wearing a t-shirt with a picture of his new Series XV Cooke triple-convertable! :wink:

I have a Hassy baseball cap, but feel funny wearing it when I'm shooting Leica or LF.

10. rashrader

rashrader Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    From what I have read, the V system is being greatly reduced, but not discontinued. The SWC and the 503CW will be the only remaining models. But, if you think about it, that is really a wise move. The differences between the 503CW and the discontinued 500 series cameras are quite small. Hasselblad might have to make a few refinements to the 503CW to cover all of the differences. The 200 series has been entirely discontinued, which I am assuming would include the F series lenses.

Once again, I read this somewhere, and I think it is pretty reliable info, but I won't vouch for its accuracy.

11. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps giving them more credit than they deserve but... they just came out with a digital back whose main marketing message is it can be used on their (continued) line of V cameras... Why bother if two weeks later you discontinue that range?

12. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The V-specific back is a "small" 16mp version and not the "large" 22mp. It also features a slightly smaller sensor just to be square.
    It is made for these purposes:
    - Satisfy the need for a digital square format to keep the tradition.
    - Satisfy the need of anxious professionals that need digital with their
    current V system. After all, the V system has been Hasselblad until
    the recent H1. The vast majority of Hasselblad owners have a V camera.
    - A step towards the H1D or newer digital models. One gets the "small" back to cover the present projects and "upgrades" later to a bigger one, that is to the H digital system.

It is the same philosophy behind the Zeiss lens adapter for the H1.

I don't believe it is the old backwards-compatibillity philosophy of the "old" Hasselblad. I don't believe they will continue to really support the V system. It's just a hanch but I don't see any other V-specific digital backs apart from this one, let alone lenses and accessories.

13. Ara Ghajanian

Ara Ghajanian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Arigram,
    I know I'm going to get a rash of sh*t from all of the purists (believe me, I wish digital was never invented and we could all live in a perfect analog world), but I for one (if I could ever afford it) would buy that digital back. You get to keep your old system and be able to satisfy the occasional need for digital. Not really a compromise in any way. Plus, I think this solidifies their commitment to the V series users. I mean, they could have been like Canon back in the 80's when their autofocus cameras came out and totally abandon the whole manual focus market they created.