Hasselblad Questions

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by puketronic, Sep 27, 2012.

1. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm interested in getting into the Hasselblad system (500cm or 501cm). For the lenses, I'm thinking 60mm/100mm or just 80mm. I like my 80mm on my Rolleiflex and I prefer 35mm and 50mm in 35mm format. The lens selection is a personal preference but I'm sure either option will be fine, depending on my budget, well...

1. Are there any long straps? I like Gordy straps but I don't like the string-connection. I want something that is about 48"+. What's a $100 strap that is long, black, and simple.

2. Are B60 filters rare/hard to find? I want UV and a yellow filter, mostly. Maybe only those two, but if not then a few of the basic contrast filters (e.g. Green, Red, etc.) The alternative is to just go 67mm with step-up.

These two details are probably the least of my concern but I usually check keh.com regularly so I'd probably get some accessories if they are priced well.

Now a more general question.

1. How do you guys like this camera for handheld work? I'm not interested in purely handheld work but this is how I would use it most of the time. I have some Rolleiflex's but for some reasons I want to try a Hasselblad. Othertimes, I feel that the added value will be so little...and that I'm better off buying some film. I'm not sure. I definitely see virtues in having removable backs, prisms, lenses, etc.

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1. I don't think so. I dislike straps on Hassys. I prefer a tripod or monopod.

2. No, but shopping around is required to get a good price.

1. See 1, above.

3. Chris Lange

Chris Lange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot a Hassy handheld in all sorts of lighting conditions. I shoot it handheld on the street at night with Delta 3200 pushed to 12500, and I shoot it handheld during the day with FP4 or Tri-X. It's a wonderful camera once you get used to its quirks. It will train your photographic reflexes to compensate for the slightly more difficult operation of the camera.

4. aleksmiesak

aleksmiesak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I generally hate the strap that came with my 501. It gets in the way of the winding knob and the dark slide. But I'm too much of a klutz to take it off and trust my reflexes to not drop the thing. So it's still on, with much cursing on my part.

Filters are pretty easy to find and KEH is probably the best. Don't want to take a risk on scratched/bad filter over the stunning Zeiss glass. Also speaking of glass, I have a 60mm on my 501 99% of the time. Love that lens! And I don't generally like wide lenses but this one is a perfect happy medium for me.

And I do a lot of fast hand held shooting with no issues. But I also know my limit as to when my shaky hands will give out and when to trust a tripod.

Go for it! It's a gem of a camera and every time I look through that baby I always say to myself "the world just looks so much better through a hasselblad!" :smile:

5. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Few more questions:

1. What is the difference between the Acute Matte and Acute Matte D?

My main reason for wanting the 501cm is that I believe they come with a better screen. The 501cm has a gliding mirror and some smaller ergonomic differences but a 500cm with an acute matte screen might be cost saving (I'm not entirely sure but that is my intution).

2. The longest lens that I would possibly consider is the 180mm. Would the vignetting be bad? I'm not a fan of telephotos in general, especially long ones. Realistically, I'd probably get a 120mm -150mm if I wanted a tele, which I may never get.

6. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I´ve played around with a 503cw recently and found it to be an ideal camera for handheld work. At least far better than my SL66!
    You can still buy new filters from Heliopan. They are not even that expensive as far as I remember.
    Concerning the strap: is it possible to attach the hasselblad clips to 3rd party straps at all?

7. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I see the problem with the filters now.

Last time I checked a B60 Yellow filter sold for about $150 on ebay. I felt that was really high due to scarcity or collectibility. I checked B&H and the filters are available. They are just expensive. I usually go used and new B+W 39mm/46mm filters for my rangefinders and used BI-BIII filters for my 'Flex's, so I am familiar with their prices.

67mm filters are cheaper and more readily available than B60 filters on the used market. I will opt this route and just adapt to bay 60 or use multiple adapters for the sake of convinience. I'd be happy with only two filters (UV and Yellow) so two adapters isn't a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2012
  8. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

9. kerrpanda

kerrpanda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just purchased a Hasselblad system and the owner had a B60-67 step-up ring (adapter) so if you have that on, you can use regular 67mm filters and not have to invest the $$ to use bayonet filters. Hope that helps!

10. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a combination of filters in 67 + adapters and B-60. The B-60 i so convenient that I have put a separate adapter on each one of my 67mm filters.

11. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not difficult to fabricate a strap if you have the fittings. The domke "gripper" straps have a wide center section and removable nylon end sections. If you need longer just replace the end sections.

12. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hassels are MADE for hanheld shooting almost---it works very well for me that way anyways...as long as you got the shutter speed up there or a strobe...it's perfect.

straps--just get any olde strap and try it out...and if you don't like it use the clips on a strap of your choice!

13. msbarnes

msbarnes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any comments on the screen: Acute Matte vs Acute Matte D?

Do late 500cm's share the same screen as 501cm's?

14. Dave Swinnard

Dave Swinnard Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Regarding filters...I've been reasonably successful in getting original Hasselblad filters from Craigslist. It seems a bunch of folks around here who used to use 'blads packed bits away when they went digital.

Be aware that if you choose to use threaded filters and a bayonet adapter, you will not be able to use the Hasselblad bellows lens shade. It was acquiring one of these lens shades (and B50 and B60 adapters) that started me on my quest for original filters.

15. puketronic

puketronic Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks!

I don't plan on bellow shades but that is very important information to know!

16. Alan Gales

Alan Gales Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The OP/TECH Super Pro Strap "A" fits Hasselblad and it is adjustable from 40-48". It's a simple black strap with nice wide foam cushioning for your neck.

It sells at Adorama for $23.95 with free shipping.

You might also check Amazon and B&H.

17. Too old to care

Too old to care Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use 67mm filters with an adapter. They work well, even with a short lens hood attached. I shoot most of my shots hand held, although using a tripod allows for more critical focusing. As far as the screen, my 501 came with a split image that I like. Since I wear glasses and hating trying to focus with them on, I take them off and use the split image to focus. This would not be possible with a matte screen. I also have the factory narrow strap. It is scary to carry such a big camera around with it, so I just have it incase I may drop the camera, it allows me to grab on to it better.

18. amac212

amac212 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the recommendation of buying a bayonet adapter and the range of filter choices will open up for you. I'm personally not a fan of covering up the amazing Zeiss glass with another piece of glass. But when I do, I really love the ultra thin B+W and Heliopan filters on my 503CW.

I tend to shoot wide open from a lower vantage point and I need to use the magnifier to fine-focus. I do shoot handheld on occasion, but I personally rather a tripod to allow myself to pop up the magnifier, get my head down to the viewer, focus, get my head back up, and shoot. (More difficult for me to do if I'm hand holding and hoping that I don't move the camera). This may not be an issue for you, but it's food for thought. Enjoy!

19. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B60 filters can be pricey especially for the better brands such as Heliopan. I have found the quality of the Hasselblad filters worth the price.

I prefer and have the lenses of the following focal lengths: 38mm [SWC], 50mm, 80mm, 150mm and 250mm. I tried and did not buy the 60mm since I felt that I was too close to the 80mm. Another lens set that I like is the 38mm [SWC], 50mm, 100mm, 150mm and 250mm.

I shopped around and found stronger Hasselblad straps than the ones the OP tensions.

20. dorigatti

dorigatti Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ARTISAN & ARTIST* ACAM-505 CAMERA STRAP. Believe me I tried many and this is the only one that does the job. It costs an arm and a leg -- around $75 but you can find a deal. Bottom line you get what you pay for. Absolutely a strap which does justice to the camera. It's long, supple, fully adjustable, easy to use as an anchor so you can shoot hand held, and the workmanship and material are the best of the best. You'll get your money's worth in the long run. I have three of them. Two black and gray and one red. They had a big booth at Photokina last month.

Specs
    Size : L37"~54" × W1.2" × T0.3" / 0.13lbs
Material : Acrylic / Leather

21. heterolysis

heterolysis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 500 and a 501, but I unfortunately can't answer your question about screens as the 500 is 2500 miles away! Sorry!

As for straps. If you can get the clips, you can attach pretty well any strap you want to it. I bought the leather palm strap for a grip and took the fittings off it (they are the same as used on the camera body).

Handheld, a 501 kit can be wonderful, and that is mostly how I use mine. Of course they're great on a tripod as well. My 80mm is my favourite/most used lens. The distagon 50mm f4 is also a fantastic lens, in my opinion.

22. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To answer your question about a strap, I have a perfect solution (in my opinion). I use David Grubbs' Wapiti Straps on my DSLRs and I wanted to try to rig one up to my 500CM, so I cannibalized the original clips of a very weathered and worn out Hasselblad strap and threaded the Wapiti Strap onto the clips. Works perfectly! Supports the weight of a V-series camera comfortably and is able to be ordered in any length as well. It's like $33 from David's website.