Hasselblad SWC/M - micro scratches

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by fatso, Nov 21, 2012.

1. fatso

fatso Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. fatso

fatso Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    :smile:

Would an independant repair shop like Steve's camera be able to remove scratches from a lens ?

4. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know. I actually doubt it but call them. They usually answer the phone on the second ring. I really don't think it is that much to worry about, though... especially if you are using a lens hood.

5. mcd

mcd Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Do you have problems with your images? I would just close my eyes and not look for the scratch if you don't. It cannot be fixed or re-polished by Hasselblad. Also, the older C type lenses are running out of spare parts. I wouldn't take the chance. If you saw the condition of the glass on the commercial Ektars I used in the early 1980's at a catalog studio, you would have been horrified. The chromes looked fantastic...

6. fatso

fatso Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I haven't noticed anything yet but I'd like to avoid any potential problems - my SWC is my work horse - I would be lost without it :sad: It aslo has sentimental value...

7. mcd

mcd Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a SWC/M (C type lens) with a scratch. You can barely see it. I cannot see any indication of it when I look at the film, but knowing it's there pisses me off. I wish I never looked for it.
    You can always look for a used 503 SWC if you are worried.

8. Aron

Aron Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why don't you find someone with a pristine SWC relatively close to you to test your SWC against his? Take good film and a stable tripod with you and do an A/B test, photographing scenes with both the Sun and shaded areas in it at various apertures. I bet you won't see a difference (unless the light changes between shots), or if you will, yours will be the one with more contrast and less flare... :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  9. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This link was posted a couple of days ago in another thread, it should put your mind at ease;

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches

If the scratches really are "micro", along the line of "cleaning marks" it will affect what someone pays you for the camera, but it won't affect the pictures you make. A lens hood may be a good idea though.

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Then do not worry about it. I have a 903 SWC and it is a great camera with optics that I could only dream about before the digital revolution.

11. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As far as I understood you do not have scratches yet but you are concerned that scratches may show up? Do you still have the old SWC/M with the C-style lens? If not then there is no reason to worry at all. Even if there would be scratches I´m sure they won´t affect image image quality in any visible way. If that really worries you then you could sell the camera and buy a 903SWC. I´m watching the prices on Ebay regularly and upgrading won´t cost you much.

12. fatso

fatso Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    lol - point well taken :smile:

13. fatso

fatso Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I checked out the lens last night with a hi power LED - no signs of scratches :D but the lenses are filthy ! It's a CF version but apparently some of those were affected as well.

I can't get rid of it - too much sentimental value...

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Then just keep it. Does you camera still have a bubble lever on top? Has it the new style viewfinder? If it has the new finder, chances are very low that your camera is affected. If it has no bubble lever any more, you are 100% save. The problem was fixed by Hasselblad somewhen between the change to the new finder and the sacrifice of the lever.

16. fatso

fatso Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Old viewfinder with bubble level on the body...

Can someone recommend a good repair shop in the NYC/NJ/CT area ?

17. DanG

DanG Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Hasselblad does still service the SWC. I just had mine CLA'd sent by my local dealer, I think that they said it went to New Jersey. check with Hasselblad USA.

DanG

18. mcd

mcd Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I second Hasselblad in NJ. They overhauled my SWC/M in 2003. Great service.

19. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    CLA

Dan,
    I've been thinking of getting a CLA on my SWC and was wondering what Hassy,NJ. charges for a CLA? It still works fine, but it's due. JohnW

20. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Almost certainly not.

21. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One question? Do you want to send the camera in for a shutter modification (The one that Hasselblad carried out on the later SWC/M). If so I don´t know whether independent repair shops could do this...

22. fatso

fatso Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Excellent, I just contacted Hasselblad NJ and will be sending them my camera !

:happy:

23. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Quote.........

What are you going to have done? Did they give you a quote? I'm debating on a "private repair" CLA, but maybe Hasselblad, NJ. is better for the buck.

24. fatso

fatso Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They weren't able to give me a quote over the phone. I'm having the work done end of December, probably a CLA, and they are going to check for micro-scratches and repair if necessary. I'll give you all the details when I get it back !

Paul

25. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ask if they can modify the shutter blades! (It was only one that was modified after all, if I remember correctly)

26. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Paul and I'm in no big hurry since my SWC is still working pretty well. The only thing that is acting up is the self-timer. It hangs if cocked and released, but I never use it on this camera anyway. The SWC was one of my most rewarding camera purchases ever. I remember the first time I took it out for a spin and then that night in the darkroom. All I kept saying was, WOW! I could sell all my other Hasselblad cameras and lenses, but the SWC is staying. JohnW