Hasselblad testing help

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by blankk, Mar 6, 2009.

1. blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys. Recently I was given a Hasselblad 500C/M, and I don't have a lens yet (or a back). I was testing the camera out by turning the crank and then pressing the shutter button to make sure the curtains and mirror moved correctly. Everything seems to be working, but why does this happen: sometimes, and I'm not sure if it's the way I press the button or what, it seems like I press the button, the mirror goes up, but the curtains wait like 5 seconds or something to pop open. Is this normal? Thanks to anyone that can shed any light!

2. E76

E76 Member

Shooter:
    Instant Films
    That is not normal; it should release all at once. I'm not familiar with the mechanical design of the Hasselblad, but it sounds like something is stiff, in need of lubricant, or catching within the camera. It probably needs a CLA.

3. blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the reply. The weird thing is, I've just tested it 100 times in a row and it never did it. Earlier in the day I noticed it a few times... maybe I was doing something wrong?

4. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    blankk I own a 500cm also and use it a lot I would have it cleand all so, It might be giving you a warning sign, would not cost that much.

5. blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey there Mike, how much do you think it would cost?

6. AmandaTom

AmandaTom Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If you keep your finger on the shutter release there will be a delay in the closing of the curtain. If you take your finger off the release and the curtains do not respond immediately, there is a problem. The release on a Hasselblad does not respond in the same way as the release on a 35mm camera: you have to keep it depressed for slightly longer. The other day I noticed a delay in my 503 cw that concerned me. The film turned out fine but I played with the body afterward and decided that the delay was as a result of holding down the button for longer than usual.

7. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last time I had work done, cleaned took to sammys camera here in LA,the shutter release was sticking. They fixed that and all so replaced the mirror damper and film mag lite seals. About 300.00 I believe.You would have to call, Cla is a pretty standard operation. Over the past 30 years I don't think its cost me over 700.00 for maintenance for 2 body's,4 backs, 4 lens,meter prism. That's cheap for any camera. The guy that worked on my camera use to work for Hasselblad, knows what he's doing, thats very important as they are very complicated but reliable cameras.

8. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry for the delay blankk my wife had to use the computer

9. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    blankk Tom is right about relishing the button. After taking you finger off the button only the aux. shutter in the back close's , the mirror come's down when you wind the film advance .
    mike

10. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A good working 500C/M body can release the mirror whit out opening the back shutters when the button is very slightly and gently pressed. No lens and no film back mounted. This is the way how Hasselblad technicians test their work when it is done. They do it by carefully 'hitting' the button with the palm of the hand, not the index finger, witch is not that easy to do!
    This is the way to "...test the synchronisation of the consecutive actions of the body's releasing mechanism..." (what a sentence!).

Philippe

11. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whack it with your thumb. That's how i do it. When i do it.
    What it does is make use of the fact that the entire mechanism isn't released all at the same time, but with microseconds/micromillimeters delays. Tapping the release will release the first bit, but stop short of anything that should follow.
    But there is absolutely no need to do that. You are not going to use the camera that way. So do not bother.

There is no mystery about the release in 500-series Hasselblads.
    You push the button, and the rear auxillary shutter should open instantly. Without any delay.
    You release the button, and the auxillary shutter should close instantly. Also without any delay.

(The thing that sometimes fools users not yet familiar with the camera is that you therefor need to keep the release button pressed for at least as long as it takes the shutter in the lens to do its business).

If there is a delay, either opening or closing, or both, there is something causing that that needs to be fixed.
    I understand correctly that when you cycle the camera in a rapid sequence, it works, but when done with an appreciable interval, it happens again?
    That would indicate that it is old grease that is to blame. It will 'loosen up' when moved a bit. But will settle down to being a sticky goo given a bit of time.
    A CLA should solve it.

12. blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks a lot for all the help guys. Turns out that the guy that gave it to me as a gift still has it under warranty at KEH. They've got a good reputation, do you think they'll possibly do a CLA free-of-charge? The camera's in beautiful shape, I'd hate to lose out on it, especially if it's just in need of something so small.

13. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even if they do not pay for it you are way ahead of the game.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why don't you ask KEH?

And if not, but like you say the camera is in beautiful shape, it will be worth to spend whatever a CLA will cost yourself.

16. blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Update: I sent KEH an email and they said to send it in for a cleaning/repair while it was still under warranty. I sent it in today and it should get to them by the end of the week. I'll let you guys know how fast they are and whether it's resolved. I hope they don't refund or replace it, because it's a beautiful camera and just needs a CLA.

17. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats great blankk.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2009
  18. blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hopefully I'll get it back soon - I worked myself into a corner a bit. I sold my Yashica D (my only other film camera) to fund some of the Hasselblad accessories, so while it's at KEH being given a CLA I have no camera to use for class. If I don't get it back this week, I'll probably miss an assignment next week. KEH says they received it on the 12th, and all it needs is a CLA, but it apparently is still there and being "looked at by a technician" which is probably just an automated response.

19. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that seems to be the way all camera repair places are,"we will call ya in two or three weeks". mike

20. blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, unfortunately with the way my luck has been going lately I'll probably receive it a month from now. The warranty repairs, as I understand, are supposed to be "priority". I don't expect them to fix my camera ahead of everyone else but it seems like a couple weeks for a CLA for a defective camera they sold is a bit long, especially when it sounds like it hasn't even been performed yet.

21. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ya I know what you mean,my be they'll surprise and get it done fast.

22. wclark5179

wclark5179 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  23. blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll certainly try him if KEH doesn't repair the camera, but they've got it now.

24. blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Okay, KEH told me today that they've decided to replace the camera, and they're overnighting it to me today. Should be here within the next couple of days. They took the acute-matte out of the original and put it into the replacement - I hope the new one looks as good...

25. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ooh you are on a roll blankk, hurry up and buy a lotto ticket.

26. blankk

blankk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just got the replacement 500C/M. They took the acute-matte from the other and put it on this one - unfortunately they didn't include the rapid winding crank from the other one. :sad: Oh well. It's superb looking and is much more quiet, so I'm happy.