hasselblad's mirror problems

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by VincentM, Sep 2, 2008.

1. VincentM

VincentM Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello Guys,

My stupid hasselblad's mirror won't come back down to its position after arming!!! (to reflect the image in the visor ) Somehow there is a delay between the action of arming and the movement of the mirror! (the mirror comes down halfway and then goes back up !! )

Does anyone know how to fix it??

Thanks,

2. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess you should find a Hasselblad authorized repair shop to give you a CLA. I wouldn't touch it if I were you.

3. VincentM

VincentM Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Other question, my lens is out from the body but the shutter is close! To put it back on the body the shutter needs to be open, how can i open it ??

4. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Find the little metallic knob on the back of the lens (which would be out of alignment with a red dot) and wind it around with a coin until it clicks into place.

5. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad's can sometimes be tricky. I was taught by someone who made his living with one for many years to ALWAYS keep the camera cocked and ready. It was designed to work that way. Some models have interlocks to prevent dismounting a lens unless the system is charged. What did you do?

6. VincentM

VincentM Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Arigram (I saw that you also hed the problem by searching the net :wink:

7. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With some models this is easily fixed or to put it another way: It may work as designed and all you have to do ist to change the mode of operation. What kind of Hasselblad are we talking about?

best

Stefan

8. VincentM

VincentM Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    501CM.. what do you mean by " change the mode of operation" ??
    Thanks

9. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With the 2000 f/fcm/fcw you can remove the crank, pull out the shaft and turn it a bit to set the camera into three different modes of opration: Instant-return mirror, non-returning mirror (500-mode) and mirror-prefire. The latter would behave as you describe. Same is true for a 500 EL/M/X and ancessors when set to "AS" but this is much harder to miss.

I'm sorry that I can't offer a comparably easy fix for your 501CM but I thought it was worth asking.

Stefan

10. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's not quite right.
    Pre-release (pre-fire) is not one of the mirror-program options. It's always available through the button below the wind crank.

The 2000-series mirror-program options are:
    - Mirror lock up (in this mode, the mirror goes up and stays up, until you select a different mode)
    - Return after winding (the same as how the mirror behaves in 500-series cameras)
    - Instant return.

The mirror being slow to come down, then only coming down half way and instantly flipping up again is not like anything any Hasselblad camera should do.

So Vincent,

Your description of how your camera behaves sounds very much like that of a camera that needs a full service, perhaps even a repair.
    Sorry!

11. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Q.G.

we are starting to become a bit nitpicking here but that's part of the fun :D :

In this mode the mirror is not staying up when you wind on. It's not behaving like any camera with a true lockup where the mirror stays out of the mirror-box during operation (eg. single digit F-Nikons). It goes half way down and flips up again (as does the 500 EL-series in AS btw.). I know you have a 2000. Take it out, try it and you'll see! :wink:

best

Stefanm (aka Kwafump on hassi-foto.de)

12. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hallo Stefan!

So let's continue the fun! :wink:

You are utterly and completely wrong.
    The mirror does stay up when you wind on.
    It is behaving like any camera with true lock up (in fact, it is one of the few that offers true lock up), staying out of the mirror box. Not moving at all, in fact.
    It does not go half down to flip up again (in the ELs, by the way, it comes down completely before flipping up again).

If you have 2000-series cameras, i suggest you try them :wink:, and if they indeed behave like you describe, i suggest you take them to Ulrich in a hurry and have'm fixed!
    (Seriously!)

13. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are right. I am wrong. You never disappoint me in this regard. How could I forget that? The 500 El's mirror is prefering whereas the 2000 has a true lockup. :D

Stefan [Taking note to self, not to trust memories without double checking]