Hassey 80mm CF Lens query

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by copake_ham, Mar 30, 2007.

1. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm new to MF.

I just purchased a late model 80mm CF T* lens from KEH to replace an earlier version that came with my "kit" and has some cleaning marks that can create flare when shooting at an angle to the light source.

The new lens is in "like-new" condition. I'd like to put a UV-type filter on it. Unlike my 35mm Nikkors, this lens does not seem to use a threaded filter.

Does anyone know what type of filter do I need?

Oh, BTW, I know a lot of folks hate UV filters etc. I don't care about that issue. I prefer to protect my glass with such a filter as a prophylactic.

Thanks for your help.

2. big_ben_blue

big_ben_blue Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hassy uses proprietary bayonet mounts for filters. Yours is most likely a B60 mount. Guess what - everything for these mounts will cost you at least twice as any regular threaded filter. The good news is that you can buy adapters from lets say B60 to 67mm etc (that's what I did to being able to use normal filters).

3. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With a little patience it is possible to find a good B60 UV filter on the auction site. I have one on 3 Zeiss lenses and they all came used. They are a little more expensive than threaded filters but so is the glass behind it.
    Good buy George, it is a great lens.

jan

4. PatTrent

PatTrent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Bay60-->67mm adapter ring. I use that same stack of 67mm filters on my 58mm diameter lenses, so it saves a lot of money.

Usually I don't use a protective filter on any of my lenses, unless it's rainy or windy.

5. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes a B-60 it is. Since your in NYC why don't you try the 2nd. Sunday show in Wayne NJ. You can pick up a B-60 to 67mm ring for a couple of bucks. The filter guy is inside the second door and on the left. (April it's the 15th. because of Easter)

Because your going to use it all the time I too would skip the cheap glass and go to a Hassy or B-60 B+W filter. I don't know if the coating or flatness of the glass means that much but the more expensive brass rings are nice to work with.

6. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have never heard of the 2nd Sunday show before. Can you give me a little more info? Is there a website?

Cannot do it this month but would be interested in checking it out in May.

7. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Copake, It's the Second Sunday Camera Show at Fireman's Hall, Parish drive Wayne, NJ. Phone # 973-838-4301 or www.showsandexpos.com

This used to be a pretty big swap. E-bay has cut down the available equipment by a lot. I have picked up Rollei filters for $8. All my stainless steel lab gear I bought there. You never know. You can go months without seeing anything you need. Then for $25. walk out with a SS darkroom set.

Good luck.

Jim Rhoades

8. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use and adapter for mine. My old C lens is a B50. The adapter was around $10 on ebay and I got a B50 to series 7 adapter along with it so I can use those really nicely-machined Kodak lens hoods.

9. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use the Cokin P series for my Hassy stuff. Works great.

10. Richard Mendales

Richard Mendales Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not only can you get Hasselblad B60 filters for comparatively low prices on the used market, but Hoya is making very high quality filters in that size. The bayonet makes it easier to change filters than a screw-in adapter. It also lets you use filters with standard Hasselblad lens hoods
    Regards, Richard

11. milosz

milosz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought Tiffen yellow in B60 for 3$ on ebay....

12. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You shouldn't even need to. I have an 80 C T* - and (as with all hassy lenses) it has in inner and outer bayonet. The outer bayonet fits the standard hassy lens shade, and on the inner I use a Bay 50 -> 52mm adaptor.

13. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Damn. Wish I'd seen this earlier. I had a Hasselblad Bay 60 UV filter I just tossed! I would have just mailed it to you if I knew.