Hassleblad back CLA at home?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Voyager, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Voyager

Voyager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Hasselblad 2000 recently purchased off eBay is already at H-USA for repair (David Odess doesn't work on the 2000 series). Meanwhile, I'm wondering if I can do-it-yourself clean and lube my two A-12 backs. I'm fairly good at mechanicals, but I don't want to pop off the screws and have a whole mess of springs and gears fly out on their own. The seals are OK, so any advice?

2. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Vincent, was that pun in the title of your post intended? (Well, it could have been worse...)

4. Voyager

Voyager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Aqx...not only was no pun intended, but I am puzzled at what words appear to be the pun--you have a better eye than I do! I am asking, though, if a fairly mechanical person should attempt to clean and lube an A-12 back at home, rather than sending off to a shop. I didn't want to open it up and discover it looks like a watch in there, and can't put it back together. What do you think?

5. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I chuckled a bit too. I believe that the "pun" comment refers to the mis-spelling of 'Hasselblad' and the implication that doing one's own repair work might be a "hassle".

I'm a bit of a D-I-Y repairman and wouldn't worry too much about flying springs or gears. I would, however, seek out a repair manual... or at least a good exploded diagram before tearing it down.

6. Voyager

Voyager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Brian...aha! No, that was simply a mistake, though I must admit to some repressed feelings along that line. OK, your post has nudged me toward giving it a try. If all else fails, I'm sure I can toss the remnants in a plastic bag, and get someone to put Humpy-Dumpty together again.

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although many people are of the DIY bent, my general feeling is-- "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it"
    The A12 backs aren't complicated, All the moving bits are in the film holder section. If you want to take a look around in there go ahead. Most problems tend to be spacing related and at that point you need a new nylon stop to solve the problem. Lubrication tends to be a spot of oil on rotating surfaces. Keep it light.

8. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Vincent, I can truly understand your feelings. I’m too one of these guys who grew up with the screwdriver in their hand; but still there is that inherent fear to have a Jack-in-the-box encounter with some part shooting out when opening. With no trace of where it ones belonged…

9. Voyager

Voyager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ...many thanks to all who responded...one member even sent me a repair manual via email, and I marveled at all the parts in this contraption, so I now have a better appreciation of the engineering and the original high price of the A-12...OK, hammer and screwdriver in hand, take a deep breath...