Hassy pulled a weird one on me today...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Katie, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got the Hassy out of hiding today - as it has been months since I used her. Loaded a rather finicky roll of expired Delta 400 in the A12 back (which needed encouragement to lay flat under the flange) and went out to shoot this giant dead tree I have been eyeballing across the street from my son's Catholic School.

Around shot 6 - after exposing, I went to cock the shutter and it stopped. Both nodes were red (for film and body). When I got home, I took the film back off and the shutter cocked! I wound the film back and put it back on. I am now on shot 10 with no other signs of fail.

What caused this?

Could it be from lack of use?
    Could it be from the film?
    OR - could it be from me switching the O to T and test firing before I loaded the film (I was playing with my cable release as I have no idea how to use it before I loaded the film in). I made sure it was back to O before using the camera, though.

Thanks for your help!

2. vpwphoto

vpwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    O/T could be the issue.

I doubt it was he film..... are you sure it was indeed under the tab?
    Thats all I can offer.

3. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just ran a second (almost) roll through and it stuck at frame 5 ( I think). Pulled off the back and cocked shutter, advanced film back, and all is well.

Could my back need servicing!??

4. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like it.
    I've seen pictures of the guts of an a12 back and there are a lot of gears in there :pouty:

5. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't know what model or vintage you have but several years ago I had a somewhat similar problem. I called Hasselblad and was lucky to speak with a technician who immediately knew what the problem was. I sent it in and it was repaired and has worked well since. As I recall he said it was a cam(?) and they had re-designed or were making them of a new material. You might give them a call or check with one of the repairmen often mentioned on the forum.

http://jeffreyglasser.com/

6. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    gears may be worn--the DRIVE gears...do you have any movement in the back? I had one that skipped teeth---you may want to have a looksee at both the camera and the back---if the film is more difficult than most (extra friction) then maybe the gears that were on the brink of skipping now DO skip....if it's an old back and camera, they are probably both worn out and need replacement---if the back seems to move around that could be a cause too---it moves slightly back maybe when cocking---but DO roll the gears around on the back...you can use a fingernail if it's a strong fingernail...check all the teeth---it should seat FLAT...cock the camera too with the back off and look at the gear that winds the back---these get a lot of wear over 30 or 40 years of constant use....

7. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a 23 year old body - not sure of the back. I will look at the back and check the "teeth". Is it better to (cost wise and durability) to repair or buy a newer back?

8. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It just seems odd to me that it happens at frame 5 all the time.
    Seems if the teeth mating were slipping it would be more random but I'm just guessing.

You can check the "feet" also...the little things on the body at the bottom.
    These need to be within spec to hold the back firmly to the body so nothing can slip.
    I know there is a jig that the 'blad repair guys use to make those perfect because the can bend sometimes.

As far as what would be cheaper...it's really a crapshoot unless you can get a good warranty but even then, the back could need servicing after a year anyway.

I have around 5-6 backs (all bought used unseen) of all types from the "peep hole" 12's up to a newer A12 and I've been lucky.
    No service to any of them but I don't run a lot of film like a commercial operation would've back in the glory days.

9. Katie

Katie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ugh. Just sold two other backs with my 500c body, so this is my only back at the moment.

Sitting here dry firing and it seems to lock up at approximately the same frame each time. What's with that? Does the back circular gear cycle through at this rate? Does it make 2 cycles per roll? If so, that might explain it locking up at the halfway point.

I checked the gears but don't know what to look for. Hmmm..

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe it is a problem with the counter itself - somewhere near the "5"

11. Len Robertson

Len Robertson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You can pull the side cover off fairly easily, and look for anything like a broken gear tooth or piece of grit. About half way down this page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeharper/3872936498/ Joe Harper explains how to remove the side cover from an A12 (note: a non-A cover comes off in a different manner), starting with "The screws to remove the cover are underneath...". You must be careful not to gouge out the screw head slots, but other than that you won't hurt anything opening it up. However, sending it in for repair may be the more sensible way to go here. If it is something worn or broken, you probably won't be able to fix it yourself, at least not without a parts back. But if you see something obviously out of whack, you may decide to buy a different back. I don't know what KEH gets for an A12, but they do have a guarantee. Or you can probably get a good replacement off eBay, if you shop carefully. Keep in mind any back you get (or the one you have) will need replacement light seals sooner or later. If you have your back repaired, new seals no doubt will be included.

Len

Len

12. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sometimes you can learn a lot by loading an empty backing paper,and cycling it through the camera,marking each frame with a pencil. There is likely a burr or somesuch on one of the gears.
    Are you certain the insert and magazine are matched? (serial no's). They are matched for calibration at the factory,and are not normally interchangeable.

13. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may also try the empty magazine on the camera and testing the combination that way. The counter still works and you don't have to take anything apart. If it still stops, you can take the side off and watch it as you check it on the camera. There could be a loose bit wandering around it there.
    FWIW both gears of the advance start and stop at the same point in their travel. They make one complete cycle, so it could be in the body too.

14. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    dreaded number five then back alive, eh.....VERY strange.

I'm like stumped but it sure seems to me that it's the magazine...I'd vote for the counter skipping somehow..where the "end of roll" flag gets tripped early....maybe something broken inside or out of time? man...I haven't had that much experience where I can remember without taking mine apart first to see what's in there again....

good luck, but backs are not that much$$$$....SO......at least THATS something. If it's broke and YOU can't fix it easily, in other words, It's probably cheaper to get a keh used one for like a hundred bucks than trying to fix it...sell it for parts or make art out of it....I got a junk back I can experiment on...HEY...we put our backs together!!!! make ONEworking one...but WHO gets it then???? AHHHHHH