hate you guys... and APUG...

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by proenca, Jul 22, 2010.

1. proenca

proenca Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Honestly, I do.

Been visiting this site and started to get a film itch to scratch.

Got a Leica MP sitting on a shelf that rarely sees some use since my M8 sees the light of the day more often.

Now I got another digital camera but because of visiting APUG so often, I started to get nostalgic.

And I go trekking ( on Holidays now ) with my MP and the other digital camera stays at home.

Just couple of film rolls on my pocket and off I go.

And I dont shoot film for ages to be honest, but its an immense pleasure the little details of film : watching exposure more carefully, paying much more attention to the framing and cocking the film.

[​IMG]

My only conscience problem is that the "other" digital camera is a 6.000 euros Leica M9...

So I really hate you guys. But having so much fun :smile:

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just think what you could have bought instead.... I had this thought not long after I bought a Nikon D100 for £1300 in 2003. It never gets used now but my selection of around thirty film cameras does.

Steve.

3. hoshisato

hoshisato Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Well, there you have it :wink:

5. drmoss_ca

drmoss_ca Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm in the same boat, but with two MPs, a Bronica RF645 and a Bessa III (no, no, no - I'm not getting out all the old cameras as well; that way lies madness!) to keep happy before the M9 gets any attention. But I have found a solution - use an Elmarit 24 on the M9 for colour landscapes. More detail than I can get with 6x7 negs in a Coolscan 9000. Best of both worlds!

Chris

6. tac

tac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    M6 and a Minolta FlashmeterIII and TX = Pure Joy!

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just wait until you have been here a while and you get GAS [Gadget Acquisition Syndrome] and start buy more camera bodies and lenses.

No, you cannot stop there ...

you move to doing darkroom work ...

then you dabble in MF ...

but you can't just dabble in MF, you have to have Zeiss lenses for MF because you like them on your Leicas so you start buying Hasselblads ...

then you want to just "try a little 4x5",

you get a LF field camera ...

You poor, poor soul, you do not know what you have gotten yourself into ... and all be cause you were temped since "Nothing beats a good piece of glass!"

Steve

8. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    GAS is bad, but, the worst was I found a Durst 4x5 for a bargain, then colour chems, paper, more chems, more paper....... Frames to hang the prints in...........Aaaauuugggghhhhhh. Thanks to everyone. :smile:

9. Brian Legge

Brian Legge Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    At least the M9 still sells for a good price if you decide you're done with it. :wink:

10. Jose Rizal

Jose Rizal Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi there!!! im from the Philippines. from the beggining im using 35mm yashica rangefinder i loved it....

11. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Welcome to APUG Jose. I've been to your park !!

12. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I started lurking, bought a Leica IIIc, then a IIIf, finally ended up with an M2 and a Nokton 50/1.1. If my wife were still alive she would not be too happy. "why do you need another old camera?" APUG is dangerous for those of us susceptible to GAS. :tongue:

13. musila

musila Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I let my friend borrow my dslr, and I honestly don't care if i ever get it back..

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    QL17 and a Sekonic L-398 and HP5+ = Pure Joy! (For those of us on a camera budget... :wink:)

Ken

16. Ken N

Ken N Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You'll know you have it bad when your film cameras are newer than your digital cameras.

Ken

17. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Jose Rizal, hello and welcome to APUG.

18. TimmyMac

TimmyMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nope, you have it bad when your cameras are older than you, or worse, your parents!

19. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Well, my parents were older than me, and my cameras... how bad do I have it??? :smile:

20. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can gladly say I have never had the quandry of what I could have bought had I forgone my digital camera. Now, if I had not bought my Jeep, on the other hand . . .

21. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only have one camera older than me now. The 1919 RB Auto Graflex was not reliable and the seller took it back.

Steve

22. Nikola Dulgiarov

Nikola Dulgiarov Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Boy, do I have it bad - all my cameras are older than me, maybe as old as my parents...

but then, what do I know, I'm only 15 :D

23. nsouto

nsouto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Proença, meu caro:

welcome to the overwhelming APUG disease, GAS.

Wait until you start looking at the Voigtlander lenses and how subtle they are at capturing different types of images.

Then it's off to the Zeiss glass and its superb colour handling.

And then: "to infinity. And beyond!"

:D

24. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Proenca;

Yes, welcome to the Center for Photographic Addictions. All of us do seem to have problems in this realm; some of us to a greater degree than others. I admit that I do have a history of additictive tendancies, so the staff says that they do have hope for me still. (Little do they know.) Let's see; what is in the history? At one point I had 14 motorcycles. I still have 82 kites; single line, two line, and quad line. I have a "selection" of ham radio equipment to play with. Minolta made prime lenses for their manually focusing cameras in 27 different focal lengths; I have 21 of those focal lengths, many with more than one aperture size.

A warning to you, Proenca: While they say that this a center for treatment of our addictions, there is also the point that we get to see what others have done, and that there are so many other ways that we can go. No matter what happens, the treatment facility is a wonderful place to be.

25. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hate is such a harsh word. Why not try something like "I have a deep disdain for APUG". But I have a feeling that what you are experiencing is not so much a dislike for us as much as it is a realization that you have a weakness for classic photography and what it stands for. This probably emanates from deep emotional scarring developed from years of torment suffered at the hands of parents and family members who would, at a moments notice and without provocation, abuse you with the family camera by making you stand with your female relatives and smile. I am certain that with a regimen of group therapy and professional counseling that we here at APUG anonymous can help you realize your weakness and allow yourself to be happy with who you are. On the plus side APUG and judicious camera purchases no matter how large or small will be substantially less than any psycho therapy you may attempt no matter how misguided.

26. dbuckle

dbuckle Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I tried counseling but ended up buying a Konica Auto S2 off of him. My addiction started with a yard sale find a Konica T4 with 50mm lens case and flash for $5.00. Then came more Hexanon lenses and Konica bodies. Then Nikon cameras with more lenses. Pentax followed and more lenses. A Konica MIOJ RF. Agfa Folder, Balda 35mm folder, Two Bronica MF cameras now a YashicaYK. RF. My wife shutters when she sees me on eBay.