have a question on film storage

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Bobby L., Apr 10, 2008.

1. Bobby L.

Bobby L. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    what is good to store film, in the refridgerator or freezer, because I like to start stocking up on 35mm film. But not sure how to cold storage the film. If the fridge is used how long should I wait for the roll come up to room temp, and pretty much the same for freezer if that is suggested.

2. Bobby L.

Bobby L. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    just realize the typo in the subject line, with the word have

3. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Freeze it in original container.

4. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Freeze it, and allow at least 2 hours for warm-up before opening.

5. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Bobby,

I use a mini fridge so film goes in both the refrigeration and freezer compartments just because of the room needed. I solve the warm up problem by always having a few rolls at room temperature. On grand occasion, I will take a 35mm roll right from the fridge or freezer and warm it up on a heat register or hair dryer (carefully, still in the box, or at least the plastic container). Remember to shoot fast film as fresh as possible unless you are going for the big grain look.

Neal Wydra

6. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Note that refrigerating or freezing film will help it last longer, but not indefinitely. Once manufactured, film is slowly fogged by cosmic rays even when frozen. This effect is more pronounced for fast films than for slow films. Thus, I wouldn't recommend stocking up on fast film just for the heck of it; but if you see a bargain or hear that your favorite film has been discontinued, by all means buy it and freeze it, particularly if it's a slow film.

7. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I too, believe this is true, but have know idea how long it would take. It's those damn neutrinos! I've heard that they can pass through miles of lead, or anything, even planets - no stopping them.

8. Bobby L.

Bobby L. Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    k thanxs for the info. as far as film speed, right now I'm working with 100 and 400. maybe one day I'll shoot a roll of high speed. I have 9 rolls on the way now, and planning on using most of them at the kentucky derby festival balloon glow on april 25. But I do want to stock up a little bit on films so that I can have it on hand when I need it.

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, it's gamma radiation that's the problem. The neutrinos don't cause measurable harm. You can store film deep underground for many years.

It doesn't take all that long, unfortunately. Faster films (ISO 800 and faster) will show the effects in a year or two. Slower films show the damage more slowly. Very slow films (50 and less) may take many years to show any damage.

10. milkplus-mesto

milkplus-mesto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hmm, metres of lead seems to be a convenient way of stopping the gamma radiation.

but if i've got film lying around, would I be better off keeping it out or in the freezer or fridge?

11. GeoffHill

GeoffHill Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For normal B&W and colour films, the cooler the better, so shove it in the deep freeze in its origional packaging if you intend stocking up. For only 9 films, if you are only keeping them for a month or 2 and intend shooting them soon, then just put them in the fridge

12. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think metres of lead will do the job. You need tens of metres.

This is why using hundreds of metres of rock is a lot easier.

13. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you have 9 rolls of consumer film you'll be shooting in a month it probably won't matter. Cold storage stops long term emulsion deterioration (2 years past expiration date stuff) and not fogging. Over a month it will probably be useless.

PS. Just shoot 25 speed films and you'll be all set.