I spent most of today printing. A few weeks ago, I had shown a friend some photos I had made from a recent trip and he wanted me to make him prints of a couple of the photos to give at Christmas. About three years ago, I started doing darkroom work again after several years absence. I began using variable contrast papers and learned how to use VC filters for split printing. It seemed to work pretty well. But being a lazy sort, I thought I would just print the photos for my friend without using any filters to speed things up a bit. I made the first print and I'll be damned if it didn't look pretty good with just raw light. I made another with a little dodging and burning and it looked just right. I went to the other negative which is a PITA to print--a cemetery with a storm approaching in the distance and a gravestone poking up into a sky that is three stops over exposed and several areas needing to be dodged. I jumped right in and made the first trial print without any filtration. It looked pretty good. Another looked better. Just for fun I tried another one with even more burning in the clouds. It looked better still. To make a long story even longer, I did the whole printing session filterless. Every print looked good, the session went fast and the icing on the cake was that I had fewer trash can prints when finished. I wonder now if all the time I spent with split filtration wasn't being done to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with. The VC papers I printed on today (Forte Polywarmtone, Ilford MG warmtone and Bergger Prestige warmton) responded beautifully to printing without filtration.