HC-110 Dil "H"

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Eric Rose, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Was out this weekend in our glorious Rocky Mountains and decided to do a quick test. I had used the HC110 Dil H on some FP4 35mm a couple of weeks ago and was rather pleased. Seemed to handle a very contrasty situation for me.

This time I exposed some 4x5 APX 100 rated at 80asa (as per tests). One sheet developed in Dil B and one sheet developed in Dil H. The only difference I can see is that the Dil H seemed to give me a N+1.3 push with this film. Beyond that the grain size was exactly the same and the tonality didn't seem much different except what you would expect from the N+ apparent development.

I guess to do a proper A/B comparison I would need to determine my developing time for the Dil H for N development. But this seems to be a lot of work for probably not much benefit.

Has anyone else done any extensive work with the Dil H?

Just for those that don't know Dil H is just 1/2 of Dil B, and you double your development time from Dil B (as a starting point).

2. bmac

bmac Member

Haven't done any experimenting with it yet, but with the new shorter dev times, I have a feeling that Dil H will be the new B if ya catch my drift.

3. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Actually I think I just found out why the negs came out a bit dense. I should have multiplied the development time by 1.4 instead of 2. Duh.

I will try it again but this time I will do:
    1. dil b
    2. dil h with time X 1.4 of dil b
    3. rodinal 1:50
    4. rodinal 1:100 with time X 1.4 of 1:50

What I am looking for is an increased tonal range, but with out increasing grain.

If anyone has done this testing and wants to share their results that would be great. I hate re-inventing the wheel if it's not necessary.

Thanks,

Eric

4. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  5. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ya I saw that one. He doesn't have any times for APX 100 tho.

6. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No, but you can compare the times for other films in HC-110 B (be careful with TX - may be wrong!) and extrapolate.

Jorge O

7. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dilution B gave me a time too short to use reduced (N-1, N-2) development (Kodak says that times shorter than 5 mins may produce unsatisfactory uniformity).

I have been using Dil E (1:47), which gives me a normal dev time of about 9mins with Tri-X (TX).

The 3 1/2 min time for the new Tri-X must be a mistake, looks like the data for Dilution A.